Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

K-30 axles ..will they fit

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bckinblk, Jun 21, 2002.

1. bckinblk

bckinblk 1/2 ton status

Will 85 k-30 axles bolt directly into my 88 k-5 without mods??? If not which years will be swappable.thanks

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green">You'll have to move the spring perches in on the back, K30 fraes are narrower. You may also need to address the u-joint size on both driveshafts, and the brake lines as well. 10 bolt uses the same thread on the caliper end as the 60, so you should be OK up front, not sure about the back though. Make sure you get spring plates for the front too, they're hard to find and kind of spendy.

There's other stuff that may need to be addressed also, but the short answer is - No, they are not bolt in, and there are no 1 ton axles that will bolt right in with no mods, they will all need something. A 14 bolt from a 3/4 ton will bolt in without moving the perches, but you still may need to address the u-joint and brake line.</font color>

3. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

The front axle will not bolt up and therefore you need to ship it to me so I can dispose of it properly.

/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

Naw, the D60 spring perches are like 1" taller than 1/2 or 3/4 stuff, thats about it for the front...as for the rear see above message...

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I'm not sure what years that they did or didn't make dually K-30's, but make sure that the axles you get are from a single-rear-wheel truck. The dually axles aren't the hot ticket for this swap. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

5. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

Yeah! Ship all dually axles to Michigan and we'll properly dispose of the offending items /forums/images/icons/grin.gif !

6. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

I just swapped a 3/4 ton 14b ff into my '76 tonight. The brake lines bolt up no probs. The u-joint is Napa part # 348. The only issue I have is the shock mounts need to be relocated and I think the e-brake cables are to short...I was tired by the time I got to them, so might have just gave up early. Gonna look at it alittle closer tommorrow.

7. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

frames arent narrower just the spring hangers are different

8. morphed86k10

morphed86k10 1/2 ton status

mj is right, the spring hangers are where the difference is. Also, the shock mounts will have to be moved on the 1 ton axle.