Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

K-30 FRAME FOR BLAZER!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Brians 60s, Jul 31, 2001.

1. Brians 60s

Brians 60s 1/2 ton status

I was just thinking last night, if anyone is running a chopped down k-30 frame under a blazer. When I follow my friend Tony who has a caddy 500 in his short wide, the frame looks like it is going to twist in half when he mashes the gas. I think a 1 ton frame would help out greatly.

IT'S A 1 TON THING.... IF I HAVE TO EXPLAIN IT, YOU WOULDN'T UNDERSTAND!!!

2. 45acp

45acp 1/2 ton status

Brian, From another angle. What would it take to stop the frame from twisting on a K5? For example I will add a cage that is fasten to the frame but just where does the frame twist and where would the cage need to be tied in to stop it? I think the cage probaly has to extend into the engine area to stop the twist but what else? Who has been successful at this?

Ride with pride,
    Bill Hughes

3. chevy4x4

chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

I'm pretty sure white_knight has a 1 ton frame under the S-10 blazer body.

<a target="_blank" href=http://white_knight.scriptmania.com>white_knight.scriptmania.com</a>

<font color=purple>L8R..

chevy<font color=green>4x4</font color=green></font color=purple>

4. Thats what white nite has in specs on his new buil up.

5. RGF

RGF 1/2 ton status

Brian, I have been thinking about using the K30 frame under a Blazer, I have a bare 87 Blazer frame and a K30 frame from an 86 sitting side by side. My orginal plan was to build the K30 to ride nice and flex but after selling my Blazer this spring that I`ve had for over ten years I have decided that I have to have another built-up K5.
    I dont see any problem shortening the K30 frame, but the way the frame kicks up under the cab will cause problems with the K5 floor plan. I was thinking that I would cut the Blazer floor so that the frame rails would be inside the tub and then box in back in and it would make some good points for mounting the roll cage, I have not done any cutting yet, just thinking out loud.
    It will be alot of work and I need to figure out if it will be worth all the extra work or not to use the big frame or just beef-up the Blazer frame.
    RGF

6. Brians 60s

Brians 60s 1/2 ton status

that is what I was thinking. I have a k-30 in the driveway and noticed the same thing about the frame going up under the cab. It probably would be a lot of work, but it woud definately be a killer set-up. Probably not many true k-30 blazers on the road if any. I looked at the actual frame thickness on my k-10 truck compared to the k-30 of about the same year, and was really surprised at how much more durable the 1 ton is. The k-20 also appears to be the same thickness as the k-10.

IT'S A 1 TON THING.... IF I HAVE TO EXPLAIN IT, YOU WOULDN'T UNDERSTAND!!!

7. talldogg

talldogg 1/2 ton status

How much does the K30 frame kick up? Even though I hate to say it, what about a body lift?

It's not what you buy, it's what you build!

8. RGF

RGF 1/2 ton status

Picture how the seat mounts in a pick-up cab and how they mount in a K5 (flat) Thats a serious body lift, my plan as no body lift in it!
    RGF