Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

K-30 Lift for 42's?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by eldon519, May 27, 2002.

1. eldon519

eldon519 1/2 ton status

K-30 Lift for 42\'s?

Hello everybody, this is my first post on CK-5 so go easy on me, i'm still trying to figure this site out. Anyway, I've just bought a 1978 K-30 and i want to give it some big meats but keep it flexy for trail riding and maybe a little rock crawling. I'd like to run 42's. This is what i've got in mind for suspension: 4-inch Skyjacker springs up front with a 1-inch lift shackle and 2.5 ORD shackle flip with Teraflex Revolver shackles and 2.5 inch Skyjacker springs in the rear. Does this sound like a practical suspension idea and how well would it flex. I'm planning on doing some heavy use of the Sawzall to make them fit. ANyone have any suggestions on what shocks to use for long wheel travel while keeping price low? Thanks

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Re: K-30 Lift for 42\'s?

Why not add the 1" ORD body lift and also the 1" ORD zero-rates to get another 2" to that 4" suspension lift? Will help a lot in the long run.

Everything else you mentioned sounds good. Especially that you are not afraid to use the sawz-all. Just IMO that if you use about 6" lift total, the 42's will fit and operate better than if you ran just 4". Just my opinion here. You don't have to listen to my opinion. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

3. eldon519

eldon519 1/2 ton status

I'd like to run it with as little lift as possible but 6 inches wouldn't be too tall if you think it would actually help.

4. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Sounds good, but buy plenty of blades. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif And I would ditch the revolvers. I haven’t heard of anyone who ran them and liked them on a full size. If you want crazy flex, talk to <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/forums/showprofile.php?Cat=&amp;User=marv_springer&amp;page=&amp;what=showmembers>Marv Springer</a> on here. I’m running a modified version of one of his setups. They are normally used to put longer springs on a K5 which came with 52” springs (your K30 already has 56”) but you can make it work by moving the rear hanger forward. Gives crazy flex without the unpredictable behavior of the revolvers.

I'm running 42s with 4" of lift, but I basically ditched the body. Even with 6” of lift you will need to mod the fire wall to keep the tires off. I had to cut the inner fender nut off the pinch weld, then hammer the pinch weld flat. Then I took a 12 lb sledge and drove the point (nearest the tire) on the fire wall back about 2 inches or so. With 42s on 15” wheels with 4” back spacing, the tires barely cleared even then. So, I moved the axle forward 2” and hacked the bottom off the core support to keep the tires out of that. The wheel wells in the bed will NEVER clear. I didn’t feel like tubing the bed so I just removed it and bolted on a sheet of particle board for a temp bed. I’m in the process of building a buggy type body for it with removable rear seats. Good luck…

5. eldon519

eldon519 1/2 ton status

How well do you think it would flex if i went with the 4-inch Skyjackers in front with a 1-inch lift shackle and the 2.5-inch ORD shackle flip with 2.5 inch skyjacker in the rear. I could add a 1 or two inch body lift. The main thing is i just want it to be flexy while being pretty affordable and i'm afraid the k-30 lift springs might be too stiff if i get tall lift springs

6. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Aftermarket lift springs to fit a K30 will be no different than the lift springs to fit a K10 or K20.

The part numbers for the front springs, regardless of the amount of lift, is the same to fit a K5, 10, 20 and 30.

The rear springs is what you need to watch for. There are currently two different lengths, 52" and 56" with the 56" on the K20's and 30's.

There is no different rates on the springs when you order one for a K30 as it can be used on a K5 too.

7. BadDog

Yep, like K30Guy said, same springs across the board. Seems like Skyjacker makes 1 ton rate rear springs in 4 or 6" lifts, not sure though, just seems like I saw that somewhere.

Also, I would not run a lift shackle on the front. Screws with your caster angles. 1" is not too bad but, I wouldn't do it. I would rather have the 1" zero rate add a leafs, though some refuse to run those on the front. Personal choice I guess...

8. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

I'd also stay away from the revolvers, I've never run them but have seen a few on full sizes, and didn't think they work well. The Springer setup is a step in the right direction, but I'm not crazy about them, either. I would do the shackle flip (nothing wrong w/the homemade style, either). You could also look into using a spring off a different truck (maybe the 63" ones off a newer Chevy?), a longer rear shackle (maybe 5"), or a small block. As for the front, from what I've seen the 4" springs flex best. I would stay away from the front block/zero rates, as well as super long shackles. Of course your intentions as to street use or trail only will have an effect on your choices.

Pete

9. eldon519

eldon519 1/2 ton status

You've got me curious about swapping in the 63" inch springs. Would I just have to move the spring mounts and bolt them farther apart to accomodate them? Also do you know if they would have about the same ride height ex: would 4-inch lift springs for a K-30 have the same height as 4-inch lift springs for a newer chevy? Thanks for the suggestion

10. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

Sorry, I've never looked into it serously myself. I actually just replaced my OE 52" springs with another similar set (I broke one a couple weeks ago). You may try searching on the Pirate board, I know that a lot of the Toyota guys have done this swap. As far as the mounts, I suspect you could just relocate the stock ones, but don't take my word for it.

Pete

11. BadDog

Something else to consider. F150 springs are 57" long, one inch longer than your stock springs. With a shackle flip, that will give you a nice shackle angle (IMO, however, there is some debate on optimal angles) to maximize flex and a roughly 4” lift. They are also REALLY flexy. My F150 springs are way flexier than my rebuilt (swapping and removing leafs to get them where I wanted them) 56” springs at the same height. I think the key to the F150 springs are their deeper arch when not loaded. The weight of the truck will collapse the arch to roughly the same level as the stock springs. However, the springs are a lower rate so they still move easily from that static height. The 2.5" F150 springs are pretty much bolt in after a shackle flip, but stay away from the 3" wide springs for obvious reasons. The only problem is with the locating pin which is 1" further forward (closer to the front eye) than the GM 52 and 56" springs. To correct this, you can redrill your perches and plates 1" forward of the current pin location holes, or, you can redrill the springs. Redrilling the springs has been done successfully by many people who drive them every day (for example, Marv Springer) but I worry about fatigue cracks. I'm probably being overly paranoid there but, the potential for a cracked main leaf worries me. Many people feel it’s ok to redrill if you keep the original hole within the part of the spring stabilized between the perch and plate (i.e. no more than 1” or so offset). Make your own decision there.

12. eldon519

eldon519 1/2 ton status

If I were to use the 63" chevy springs, would I also have to redrill the locating pin? I know where I could probably acquire a pair used for a pretty good price

13. BadDog

I think for 63s you will have to move both spring hangers.

14. eldon519

eldon519 1/2 ton status

If I wanted to shorten the wheelbase a few inches, could I keep the rear spring mount in the stock position and modify the bed accordingly so that the wheel wells would be over the tires or is there not enough room to only move the front hangers forward?

15. BadDog

Beats me, I don't know that much about the 63" springs (like offset of the pin for instance). Best advise is do like I did, grab a tape measure and use your imagination. You'll have to get the details on the 63s from someone who knows, or just find some and measure. Just don't forget to account for lengthening when compressing.

16. sidslc

sidslc Registered Member

I have 42's on a k5 with tuff country soft ride 6" springs in the front with ord's shackels and the 4" springs in the back with the ord 2.5" shackel flip and 2" belteck shackels and cut the back half of the overloads off. Way to much flex need limiting straps.

17. eldon519

eldon519 1/2 ton status

How do you like the Tuff Country springs? I hear they are really soft and ridiculously flexy. Do they sag at all or do they give a full 6"?