Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

k-5 diesel

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by firerescue_one, Aug 27, 2004.

1. firerescue_one

firerescue_one Newbie

I'm looking at a 1982-84 k-5 diesel looking for fuel milage. My 1980 k-5 is very bad.Are they any good? /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. tucsonkfive

tucsonkfive 1/2 ton status

My dad had an 82 that got around 18 in town and better on the highway. Wasn't the fastest rig but it made many trips in the mountains of Idaho with no problems. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. 82diesel

82diesel 1/2 ton status

Yep get 17-20 but I have a heavy foot.

4. smprider112

smprider112 1/2 ton status

ya I get average 17 with mine, round town with 35's /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

My 82 K20 stepside gets between 15-22 mpg,(6.2diesel)in mostly stop and go and urban nightmare traffic,I havent gone on the highway with it much yet,at least for any distance,til I get better tires and upgrade my tranny lines,and find out why it wont come out of 4hi--mileage might get better when I can put it in real 2wd,and not have all the shafts turning with the hubs unlocked..all in all,pretty impressive mileage for a fairly heavy 3/4 ton pickup--a K5 might be lighter,and get even better mileage.You can get away with higher gears(or bigger tires without a gear change)more with the diesel,they like to pull,at lower rpm than a gas motor,they dont like to wind out,the govenor will let it get up to about 3600 rpm or so--hmmm--same rpm my briggs and stratton lawnmower tops out at! /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif