Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

K-5 on a trailer?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by skelly1, May 10, 2005.

1. skelly1

skelly1 1/2 ton status

What width of car-hauler trailer, and how long is a K-5? The father in law's buying a carhauler and we want to be able to put my K5 and his VW manx on it. Seems like with a 5500 lb K5 and with maybe a 1200 lb VW, 2 3500 lb axles will be pushing it. Is it worth it to get 5000 lb axles? Brakes on just one axle ok too?

2. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

with just the weight of the k-5 i would feel more comfortable with brakes on all axles..i used to have a 26 foot travel trailer i pulled with my k-5, and was very gald i had brakes on all axles..

3. skelly1

skelly1 1/2 ton status

Also, this is not going to be an enclosed trailer, just a flatbed type with ramps. The guy closeby that makes these trailers uses wood for the floor. Anybody know how long wood lasts or is it imperative to go with a real metal/diamond plate floor?

4. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I would definitely go with brakes on both the trailer axles, as far as weight, personally, I'd go with 7500 lb axles.

5. skelly1

skelly1 1/2 ton status

Damm, 7500 lb axles. Seems overkill so please elaborate. I will admit though that I have seen these trailers advertised with 15K total capacity on a 20 footer. Are the smaller axles really just over-rated then?

6. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

I dont doubt that most 5500lb trailers could haul more than that-

however, legally, if you ever got into an accident, it would become a "point" that could make you loose a civil/criminal case in terms of being irresponsible and negligent.

Definately get the dual brakes- you'll end up with more uniform tire wear, more control, and if you got a blazer in the back.. you'll want all the braking power you can get!!!

7. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

You might check things out legally, I know there are sticky points in CA about hauling with heavy trailers. The chp tried to give my dad a ticket out there for towing our 14K# gooseneck with the superduty, saying it was overweight. Came back here had colo highway patrol sign off the ticket and it was over. You probably can't do that.

I really like having bigger axles since the get you into 8 lug wheels and 16" tires which will be more durable and tougher. It's easy to end up with a bunch of other crap on your trailer too, so over rating is often a good idea. I've seen lots of trailers with nice big toolboxes full of tools and spares and then the K5 gets the cooler and camping get thrown in.
    Of course you can only tow 55 mph so you probably won't have heat problems in the trailer tires. Gotta love hauling stuff in ca.

8. wildcatkit52

wildcatkit52 Registered Member

Not sure on the cost in your area but I just got a new trailer that is 16 ft long and 6ft 9 or 10 inches wide(whatever the width limit is). It has ramps and brakes on both axles. I doubt I will ever need anything bigger for most things I would ever hual. The total cost was $1105.00...

9. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Well, a K5 with 31x10.50s on it and stock 15x8 Rally wheels is 80" wide in the front axle. So plan on getting a maximum width trailer of 102" (usually ~82.5" between the fenders).

Next, a K5 is 15' long.

Lastly, I'd get 6,000lb axles if you're going with a trailer any longer than 20' with the intention of hauling heavy stuff on it (and with a big trailer, you will). You're going to have a habit of putting a lot of weight on it and with a trailer that long you're going to want to have the capacity and the larger brakes in case it starts to sway. Depending on state laws they may require you to have brakes on both axles. In Michigan now they do. They also now require a break-away kit.