Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

K-5 Power Tailgate Conversion

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by box3band, Oct 30, 2006.

1. box3band

box3band Newbie

I tried to search to see if anyone has posted about this exact topic in the past but could not find anything. I just got a sweet deal on a Power Tailgate for my 1985 K-5 and I want to swap it out for my POS manual tailgate. My only question is this: Does anyone know if GM already put the wiring harness on all the trucks and hid them somewhere when a manual tailgate came with the truck? In other words, is there a possibility that I already have the wiring harness for the power tailgate hidden somewhere near my tailgate that I need to find in order to hook this new power one up to it, or does anyone know of a place where I can get that specific wiring set up for it. I have tried looking everywhere online for it and cannot find it for the life of me. I am only hoping that GM used only one wiring harness for the back section and only used it when a power tailgate was factory installed. One I figure this wiring problem up, then I can just order the in-dash switch and I will have a sweet new tailgate set up.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Kyle

2. JNygard

JNygard Registered Member

Check driverside rear and see if there is an empty plug taped up there. I wouldn't think they would run two differant harnesses.

3. AussieK5

AussieK5 1/2 ton status

On my 79 the wiring for the tailgate passes through its own grommeted junction in the firewall then extends back along the chassis rail.

[​IMG][​IMG]

4. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

No such luck. I just went to the junk yard and got the factory switch with harness all the way to the gate, drilled a hole in the firewall and installed it. I didn't want to cut a hole in my dash so I mounted my switch beside the headlight switch. The harness will plug right into your fuse box on one of the exta ign spots.

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The harness for the tailgate is indeed a standalone item. You'll need to get an entire harness from a donor rig to do an easy install. :(

6. box3band

box3band Newbie

Cool, I'll check this weekend to see if I have a harness hidden somewhere is the truck, if not I guess I will be taking a trip to the Pull'n'save and see what they have got.

You guys are awesome. Thanks to all who replied.