Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

k&n air filter...whos got one?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bear, Oct 18, 2002.

1. bear

bear Registered Member

Should I invest the money? Any truth to the claim of increased horsepower? I know they last longer than a regular filter......what sort of maintenance is involved? Any help appreciated, as always! /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

2. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

I've got one.

I have noticed a power and throttle repsonse increase in my Blazer. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I have NOT noticed a difference in my "other" car. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
    German engineering...??? /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

3. 6.2L Jimmy

6.2L Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I installed one in my Diesel Jimmy and I noticed an absolute immediate difference in h.p and throttle response and I also removed th factory cold air induction system and replaced it with 4-inch aluminum dryer hose and I am very satisfied with the combination of the two changes made.Go for it....it works. Hope this helps. and K&N sells a cleaning kit for the filter and you usually clean it once a year ...depending what you do with it and where you go with the rig (excessive dust). I would clean it every 6 months or so. Hope this helps. I freaked out over the difference and you can actually hear more air just being sucked into the engine.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif
    Mike

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I notice I only have to clean it every 6 months where I was ahving to replace a paper about every 2 trail rides from getting plugged up with dust. Hell I stuffed a paper so full 2 years ago at Dixie run that I had to stop and buy a new one before heading home.
    Might also look at eh AmsOil filters. About the Same price and suposidly better filtering. I think it also comes with a foam prefilter.

5. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

One other thing, one of the toyota guys was running a K&N on the beach. Long story short, he found sound in the engine, and he blames the K&N for NOT filtering the really light sand that flies around. He found it in the engine intake before and AFTER the K&N, and in the oil....

Not sure what happened to the motor.

For this reason, I change to paper when I hit dust and sand.

6. Burbinator

Burbinator 1/2 ton status

I have one in my Sub...

I initially purchased it solely for the fact it is reusable. The increased throttle response and HP I noticed a little, but that is a benny for me.

I had one in my '86 5.0 Mustang years ago with the same results.

/forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I've got 'em in everything I own. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif But I also use their filter sealing grease on the rubber seals, to make extra sure that nothing sneaks past there...

8. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

That happened to a guy here with a toyota. Sand in the engine. I run a K&N and have not had the same problem.

9. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

If you do a lot of wheeling in mud or sand get a pre filter.

10. Rick

Rick Registered Member

I got one in my truck and I definitely felt a difference, you can hear the carb sucking the air.

11. bear

bear Registered Member

thanks for the info guys........I was stopping by the parts shop anyway so I'll pick one up on the way home tonight!