Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

K&N Air Filter

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by 6.2L Jimmy, Jul 21, 2002.

1. 6.2L Jimmy

6.2L Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Hi Everyone,

Question...has anybody here with a naturally aspirated 6.2L ever put on a K&N air filter( i imagine so)? I washed out the air filter box and repainted it then re-installed it and replaced the old paper filter with my new K&N and started up the truck and all is fine but now when I hit the accelerator the truck really goes but is making louder noise (a growling like sound that is relative to throttle position kinda sounds like a gas engine)from out of the air filter box...is this normal???
    Is this the sound of the increased CFMs? /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif Everything is hooked up right. Thanks in advance.
    P.S the trucks smokes a lot less when under load now /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

2. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I remember reading something about Dodge voiding all warranties on their Diesels if someone installed a K&N air filter!
    It was on the Diesel Page mailing list

3. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Whenever I replace my air filter, I notice a louder "growl" out of my 6.2 at higher RPMs. I'm pretty sure it happens because the motor is breathing better. And because a K&N breathes better than a normal paper filter, I would assume that engine noise could be louder than normal with one installed.

4. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

If that's true, it's ridiculous. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif It sounds like Dodge was using K&N as a scapegoat for some problem they had.

5. calcide

calcide 1/2 ton status

I've read an article or two concerning how poorly a K&N filter works as a filter. Supposedly it doesn't filter as well as a paper filter until it "clogs" some (filter media has bigger holes), then it's airflow is restricted.

6. kickinasphalt383

kickinasphalt383 1/2 ton status

yeah, i pulled my k&n out and put a paper filter back in because the paper stops more dirt