Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

K&N Aircharger/FIPK

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 88 jimmychanga, Dec 20, 2003.

1. 88 jimmychanga

88 jimmychanga Registered Member

What's the big difference between the K&N Aircharger and Fuel Injection Performance Kit? The Aircharger is not 50 state legal and designed for offroad and race use, but what's the difference performance wise? I checked the website and didn't find much help. I'm asking b/c the Aircharger (non-50 State Legal) is $150 bucks cheaper than the FIPK. The Aircharger also doesn't allow for reconnection of certain emission controled devices (thank God I don't live in California!). Any help? Just starting to add to my bone stock engine, thought I started with intake/exhaust with an Air Filter and Headers.

2. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

In my opinion buying the whole K&N intake kit is a waste of money on a TBI truck. The stock system flows plenty of air for stock TBI. Those FIPK kits work better on MPFI cars than on TBI systems. Just get the K&N filter and call it good.
    If you want a little better flow remove the hot air diverter valve form the air cleaner housing and plug the hole. And cut out the hole in the front of the stock plastic air box. That will folw plenty of air and save you a lot of money that can be used for mods that give more bang for your buck.
    Your money would be better spent modding the TB to flow more air. That will build a lot more power than buying an aftermarket intake you really dont need.

3. 88 jimmychanga

88 jimmychanga Registered Member

Cool, thanks for the input. I was plannin' on buyin' a TBI spacer, any suggestions?

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Cool, thanks for the input. I was plannin' on buyin' a TBI spacer, any suggestions?

[/ QUOTE ]

Scrap that idea, spacers hurt torque.

5. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

There are only 2 TBI spacers on the market that acually will build horsepower on a TBI:
    turbocity.com (Their site is down for upgrades right now)
    and
    cfm-tech.com (They also sell the turbocity spacer plus their own)
    All the other spacers out there really dont do much except add a little air velocity at low speeds giving better throttle response but really dont add power.
    The ones fronm turbocity and cfm-tech are a open plentium design. That design increases airflow and balances it.
    I am running a turbocity spacer on my K5 which made a noticable diference and a Cfm-tech spacer on my boat. Of the 2 I think the CFM-Tech spacer builds more power. Just bolting it on added almost 400 rpm to my top speed in my boat.I was impressed /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif That is a significiant increase which allowed me to run a faster prop.

6. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

What about those TB spacers that go in between the TB and fuel injector support (Summit carries them)? Do those things build any power?

7. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Yes the injector spacer will bild power also.. By rasing the injectors by 1/4 inch higher out of the throttle body, They will build power by increasing air flow. I am running those also. I dont know about the ones from Summit. I got mine from turbocity.
    If you put one on you might as well install an adjustable fuel pressure regulator while you have the injector pod out. Once you start increasing the air flow it really helps to boost the fuel pressure to get the most out of those mods. If you replace the metal spacer between the TB and the air cleaner housing with a velocity stack, install injector spacer and open plentium throttle body spacer, you can get the air flow up from the stock 480 CFM to 530 CFM or higher. That is right in the optimun range for a stock/mild build 350. With these mods plus headers or good exhaust the fuel pressure should be around 14 psi,to get the most out of everything.
    The stock regulator is pre set somewhere between 9 and 13 psi.
    With an adjustable regulator you can get the pressure up to around 15+ psi. Even a small change in fuel pressure can change the way your engine runs. It really helps to have a pressure guage to set everything up.