Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

K&N Filter for tbi

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ahx, Sep 6, 2004.

1. ahx

ahx Registered Member

anyone know which round air filter will fit the stock tbi setup. k&n's site stinks. I was thinking of a 3 or 4 inch filter with the xtreme top. problem is i have a drop base here that wont fit. the idle return sensor connector stick up too high. Wondering if a standrad base will fit. I still want the air pump hose to connect also which isnt a big deal.

2. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

That is a simple fix. Get another TBI spacer and sit on top of the one you have, silicone them together and fill up the holes on the top one. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. ahx

ahx Registered Member

that wont help. the return to idle sensor is attached to the tbi unit. no matter how high i make it it will alwasy be 1/2 inch above the air cleaner base area.

Sorry it is actually the throttle posistion sensor that im talking about.

4. BigBlockBurris

BigBlockBurris 1/2 ton status

5. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

The one I had for the stock housing was something like 11"x4". I now run a 14"x3" in an open housing. Had to get two spacers to do it though.

6. ahx

ahx Registered Member

seems a little idfferent to me. i have no IAt on my stock air cleaner. I also have no vacume line going to the stock air cleaner. the part that is in the way is the Idle speed snesor that sticks up above the tbi unit and is on the oposite side of the throttle linkage. I have already been using a drop base witht he raised ring but i want to eliminate that ring to allow for better air flow.

7. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

A little more info about your rig might be helpful. My suggestion worked fine with my '90 TBI. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

8. ahx

ahx Registered Member

i see form your pictures what you did. I do NOT want that air restrictive ring that is below the drop base air cleaner. I want to eliminate that. I am headed to the speed shop now to find a standard base air cleaner with a k&n 3 inch filter and xtreme top.