Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

K&N filter oil alternitive

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by original balzer, Aug 17, 2005.

1. original balzer

original balzer 1/2 ton status

does anyone know what would work? seams like im paying too much to buy a brand name. gas prices are high enough. i once herd it was a mix of brake fluid and atf but i dont want to trust that. i thought it would be in the tips and tricks but didnt see anything.

balzer

2. PsychoticDeadGuy

PsychoticDeadGuy 1/2 ton status

are you or anyone you know into remote control cars? the gas ones? you can use old nitro gas from those. it takes awhile for all the nitromethane to evaporate or you can just burn it in a bowl or something...it will leave a blueish oil residue either way, it will work better if you dont burn it off but the old oils from the nitro gas works great. ask me how i know...

3. Kiwi John

Kiwi John 1/2 ton status

Motorbike shops sell an air filter oil that does the job. Stuff i get is made by Silkolene. Do you get that in US? It is blue in colour, really thin & runny when you pour it but evapourates fast to go really sticky. Gotta wash it off hands with petrol.
    i use it in the foam air filters of petrol powered disc cutters that builders use to cut paving slabs/concrete etc. keeps their engines clean.

4. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Check at some of your local motorcycle stores for filter oil. They usually carry larger cans of it. And I have found they are sometimes cheaper. Maxima, PJ1, etc.. Are all good brands... Just make sure if you are getting it for a K&N you get an oil for a gauze filter.

Personally, I'd just switch to an AC Delco paper filter.

5. Roz

Roz 1/2 ton status

6. Emmettology 101

Didn't mean to turn this into a product comparison discussion.. Go to this link:
    Air Filter Test

That link has been posted here before.

I was always a fan of K&N until someone told me to try looking through it the next time I had it off. Any light you see in the filter element is where dirt can pass. I could see quite a bit of light and my filter was pretty new and only cleaned and reoiled once...

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Yep, I'll give up three HP for an engine that will last an extra 50K miles. :D

The K&N mantra of "it's cheaper than paper filters" doesn't seem to work out either. $40+ just for the filter, then $14.95 for the cleaning and oiling kit that is good for 3 cleanings. That alone is about $5 per cleaning, just about the same price as just buying a brandy new paper filter that will keep the engine internals cleaner. :rolleyes:

I've run K&N's in the past, but I don't plan to buy any more of them.

8. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

Paper filter suck when they get wet.

I have oiled my K&N several times with air tool oil. It is cheap, buy it by the gallon, and just put in in a squirt bottle and it works fine.

9. Emmettology 101

That is one downfall of the paper filters. But if you know you're going to be around wet areas, just run the filter in a factory housing and put an Outerwear on it..

10. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I don't run an open element on any of my junk so that isn't a problem. :cool1: Plus, a paper filter will stop most water from entering the engine. I found out the hard way that a K&N doesn't even seem to slow it down... Wasted a brand new engine when it became a 240 HP water pump. :eek1:

11. Roz

Roz 1/2 ton status

im not beliving that test much at all. having taken care of all the familly cars and hundred of thousands of miles, and seen the internals of ac delco religous car and van i wasnt impressed. u could see plain as day the amout of wear the ac delco's dirt that passed through it. HHHMMM sounds fishy to me. the only thing i changed no my truck was the air filter( a new one) and i could notice the difference, so if the last statment of stock air filter able to pass more then enough unresricted air doesnt sound right

12. opfor2

opfor2 1/2 ton status

Ok, I’m really confused. Which is better an OEM A/C Delco paper element filter or a washable element type like the K&N?

I fell for all the hype about the K&N and installed on but I really never noticed any difference with it except for the price and the price of the recharging kit. You would think that if the K&N type filter were really da Sh*t the OEM’s would install them on new vehicles.

13. PsychoticDeadGuy

PsychoticDeadGuy 1/2 ton status

OEM's want you to go back to them to get stuff done, when ever you take your vehicle to an OEM and they do a basic tune up or what ever and the change the air filter, etc. thay charge you an arm and a leg for it...thats how they make alot of their money, by keeping you in their shop...

14. jhellwig

jhellwig 1/2 ton status

I don't buy the test results. To me it would seam that if a filter was letting more dirt through that it would also let more air through.

If I remember correctly one thing that is in the little paper when you by a k&n filter is that it states that dirtier it is the better it works. I can see it catching more dirt if it is dirty and your flow going down. I wouldn't doubt that a cleen paper fitler flows more than a cleen k&n.