Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

K&N filter oil

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by thezentree, Jan 3, 2004.

1. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

well, since my once-purple K&N is black, i think its about time to clean it. i was talking to a friend about it, and he mentioned that he uses WD40 on his, and hasnt had a problem (its a yamaha 350cc 4 stroke, and mines a chevy V8, so its a bit different.) anyway, he said all he does is hose the thing out, from the inside of course, and then WD40 the hell out of it. it saves him a $20 filter cleaning kit, and cash is limited here. but then again, if thats not an acceptable filter oil, im willing to pay for a cleaning kit. $20 aint no thang when you stack it up against a new engine.

so, is it ok to use WD40 as filter oil?

you know, its amazing how much bullshit i can cram into a question /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

2. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

no..dont use WD40 to oil it, you can however use plain old 409 cleaner to clean the element....but use filter oil to oil it..you may be able to buy filter oil (non k/n) seperately at autozone.. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. thezentree

glad i asked /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif thanks

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

WD-40 evaporates quickly, so your buddy is gonna need new rings in his engine WAY before he would have. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif The K&N Filter Oil is fairly thick and kinda sticky.

The re-oiling kit is good for about 3 cleanings and re-oilings, so the cost is much less than $20 per cleaning. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

W.D.40? he might just as well use PAM for a non-stick surface,that way the dust can fall off. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

6. Confedneck

[ QUOTE ]
    W.D.40? he might just as well use PAM for a non-stick surface,that way the dust can fall off. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

7. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Yeah the instructions that come with K&N filters specifically say "Do Not use WD=40" as a filter oil.
    All WD40 is is good for is cleaning parts. It is basicly usless as a lubricant. Let alone a Filter oil
    I guess your buddy knows way more than the K&N engineers. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif
    Use filter oil. A good engine is a terrible thing to waste.

8. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

just get the kit. Yould never use it all. It costs like 20$ but you can use it 100 times(Im guessing on that number) If you have friends tha have K&N chanrge them $1 to use ur kit and ull make ur $ back

Nick

9. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    It costs like 20$ but you can use it 100 times(Im guessing on that number)

[/ QUOTE ] 100 times? That's a pretty wild guess. Did you remember to take the top off the oil can first? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif If you follow the directions properly you'll get about 3 uses out of the kit. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

10. boggerless

take the top off /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

11. thezentree

like i said, im glad i asked. not that it would make any difference with the amount of crap it ingested a few weeks ago, but....

while we're on the subject of K&N, are those super expensive K&N oil filters worth the money?

12. Confedneck

napa gold (wix) filters for oil /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. boggerless

that i don't know,i just stick with fram. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

14. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

yup i use fram

15. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

I dont wanna affend anyone but frams really suck for a oil filter(unless you get there most top of the line thats $$$ then its about as good as a wix) I only use napa gold(confedneck is right there wix) or WIX I havent really heard to much about the K&N's though oh yea... and im sure delco filters are good too /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I really clean and oil my K&N filters good... so those kits dont last to long so i but the BIG cleaner with the sprayer lid top(not the botton squirt cap) and a big can of oil it last a wile and is really cheaper in the long run... there alot of oils out there espically if you go to a motorcyle shop you cant really go wrong with the K&N stuff but JP1 is also good and others im sure

16. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

Fram = bad I actually cut open one of the FRAM filters on our work truck after the 3k mile oil change to prove it to the boss, some of the paper element had actually disintegrated. We now get NAPA gold and I am using AC delco simply because I got a good deal on a case of em (and they don't suck) /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif