Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

K&N filter question?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by fordslayer383, Feb 7, 2005.

Do you have to adjust your carb if you install a high flow filter?
    i

1. MOABDADC22

MOABDADC22 1/2 ton status

Nope, just slap her on and hit the road. :waytogo:

2. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

get one of the xtreme lids with the filters on the top and on the sides. another 1000 cfm

3. some dude said told me it would throw my carb air/fuel mix outta wack! i dident really belive em at all i just waited to hear other opinionz:D

4. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

lol

just makes it easier for the air to get to the carb... not change mixture. thats some funny $hit.:haha: :deal: :screwy: :thinking: :rotfl:

5. heres an idea im gonna punch him in the ****in face!:crazy:

6. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

That thing is a waste of money, just more filter to bring in more dirty air....

7. What The **** Is And Xtreme Lid????

Is That For An Off Road Beer Mug?

8. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

do a search on em. type k and n xtreme lid.

It makes the top of your lid a filter instead of just a lid..

Yeah i guess but k and n have some of the best filtration in the business besides cool blue.

9. rjfguitar

Thats what you think, and K&N wants you to think.....BadDog....are you out there????? :)

10. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

not trying to be a dick but how can YOU tell what size microns it filters? just curious.

11. my buddie just covers his carb with 3 layers of his moms panty hose
    lollol

12. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

lmao.... ghetto.

13. ya

its funny man up here in canada its winter right now so there not much dust or crap- just cold

14. rjfguitar

Obviously I don't have to, thats what egg heads are for. There is a nice little link to a study on the supposed "best" filters out floating around here and if you find it you'll learn something today. A/C Delcos are the best, according to the test.

15. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Yes, but I've grown tired of the arguing. :D Anyone who cares is free to search out one of the other threads.

16. would you recommend this bad dog tossin on e one and not touchin your carb settings???

17. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

You should not need to touch the carb settings.

What I would recommend is that anyone who does not have a problem dealing with water contamination should use a good quality paper element and change it appropriately. IMO, foam is only indicated in 2 cases. One, you have a mud truck or do deep water crossings and don't have a snorkel. Or two, you have a 500+ hp monster that likes to run at 5k+ rpms and actually can *use* that small increase in flow allowed by the foam. Most (read "pretty much all") engines have no significant measurable increase in performance in either hp or economy when objectively measured. There are any number of anecdotal reports that seem to support he "value" touted by K&N, but *every* objective test I've ever seen says otherwise. So in most cases, for the extra cost, you get measurably lower filtration quality for no benefit other than you can wash it out a few times rather than replacing. But then how many people actually clean them correctly? Which of course opens up a whole other bag of worms where you can actually make things worse than the "ideal" I stated above…

Dang it rj, I've been sucked in again… :D

18. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

this has nothing to do with our trucks or motors but I've seen chassis dyno tests that put on a kandn cold air kit and get 10 hp at the rear wheels with a 4 banger. It does have a little to do with the decrease in air temp but the decrease is not much considering that it takes the point where the air is sucked in and moves it away from the heat but the tube it travels through is right where all the heat is so you can say that the filter had to do with the gain. this was on a show called dream car garage and had no k and n reps or sponsers around to give them this gain.

19. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Air temperature is a factor in power output of an engine. I can't recall the numbers, but it is measurable. I think Doug Roe's book Rochester Carbs is where I saw that mentioned.

On top of that, was it an orange to orange comparison? Two brand new filters back to back? Or typical "whatever was on the vehicle, regardless of age/condition" vs. a brand new setup?