Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

K&N Filter

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Wallyb, Mar 10, 2001.

1. Wallyb

Wallyb Registered Member

Just wondering how many K5ers have replaced the old stock with a K&N?? Do you notice the difference in HP and MPG?

2. TheGeneral

TheGeneral 1/2 ton status

I replaced my with a home-made PVC 4" tube and a K & N cone filter. A huge improvement. I also wrapped the tube with fiberglass header tape to try and keep the intake air as cool as possible. Still the best 6 hours and 100 bucks I have spent for the return.

If you ain't hurt, you ain't playin' hard enough.

The General

3. sluggo45acp

sluggo45acp 1/2 ton status

One of the first things i did to my k5 was add a K&N filter. Noticed about a 1mpg improvement, doesnt sound like much but 9mpg to 10mpg works for me. You also get a really cool roaring sound when the 4 barrel kicks in.

[​IMG]IF EVERYTHING WORKS IT AINT A REAL TRUCK[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Replaced mine... don't expect much. It is all hype and people tend to believe in their head they have more power to justify their expense. It may help with other items such as stated a ram air setup and/or msd ignition, bigger tbi unit, etc. Basically buy it for a tiny bit performance and then along w/ it you'll never have to buy an airfilter agian... just the cleaning kit which cost about the same as a filter *shrugs*

1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI

5. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

From what I've heard, most people notice the idle a little smoother.

90K5

See my truck at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502</A>

6. rezalb

rezalb 1/2 ton status

I had two hundred and nineteen extra bucks ( yea right) so I got a Ram Air with a K&N for my wifes Expedition, it has not done a a dog gone thing in the past three weeks, I think it is because
    IT STILL SITS IN THE GARAGE.......
    I hope it pays for itself, they say the filter is lifetime, just wash, and improved mileage, sooooo we will see.

rezalB

Built for a purpose.

7. bigerik

bigerik 1/2 ton status

I casually put in a K&N air filter in my 76 Blazer, not expecting to feel anything. After only installing the filter, I immediately noticed a huge increase in power. I don't think I had had a dirty filter, but I must have for that huge of a difference. I was amazed. When I put in an MSD 6T box with MSD wires and new plugs, I got another huge increase in power, and the mileage went up more than you would believe! I am not deluding myself because I spent the money, either--it was amazing both times.

8. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

I didn't buy it to get better gas milage and didn't notice any change in MPG. I wanted it becauses I was working on a job site that had a lot of dust flying around. It works great, if your looking for something to wash, oil, dry and go.. I've saved the price in the four years I was on that site in filters alone.

C'moe

<font color=black>the blazer is "Back in Black"

9. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

I got a big 5"x14" on top of my Edelbrock Q-jet. It is supposed to flow about 900cfm (my tired 350 only needs about 500), so it was mostly for looks. I didn't notice any mileage improvements, but I did feel my seat pushing a little harder on my pants after I installed it. I can't say it was a lot, but there was some HP improvement. A guy once mentioned in this forum that the performance increase is not because it's a K&N filter, but because it's an open air element filer. Maybe he's right. I'm sure I'll get another one when I install a TPI by the end of the year.

<font color=blue>//////
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://blazer79.coloradok5.com>http://blazer79.coloradok5.com</A>
    </font color=blue>[​IMG]

10. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I installed a open element K&N and noticed a pretty good increase in power and a little bit better MPG.

Murphy's Laws on Life :
    "Opportunity always knocks at the least opportune time." [​IMG]

11. CAPTAINK5-CT

CAPTAINK5-CT 1/2 ton status

I remember reading a dirty K&N works better than a brand new paper filter. I have been using them on my Kawasakis for the past 20 years and love them. The only problem I have is figuring out which one is for a stock 305. Oh ya, plus around here they want about $60 for one.

12. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

Mine's got a 4" k&n with a filter wrap on it and the truck loves it! It's an open filter btw.

[​IMG] Keep your feet dry [​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://muddin4fun.coloradok5.com>http://muddin4fun.coloradok5.com</A>