Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

K&N Oil Filter??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by shane, Aug 16, 2001.

1. shane

shane 1/2 ton status

I looking at the K&N oil filter with Mobil 1 synthetic oil. With a better filter and a synthetic oil that doesn't break down so fast will I be able to extend the intervals between oil changes. About 80% of my driving is on paavement, 10% down logging roads, and 10% on slow dirt trails into sweet fishing lakes. Anyways the truck is pretty much stock with a 350, 700r4. I only have 74,000kms on the truck so the motor is almost like new, just different, and I want to keep this motor happy for a long time until I can afford the 502 [​IMG] (might be a while)

If the K&N is not the best, which is???

Shane

Never argue with idiots; They will drag you down to their level and beat you up with experience [​IMG]

2. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

I likes the AC Delco ones. Just stay away from the Frams. And the K+N's may be great, but Im not sure of their price. If its much more than the Delco's I'd stay away from them.
    And yes the Synthtics will last longer than the dyno juice but cost more. So you can pay more now or later!!!

Learning to fry bacon!! [​IMG]
    3/4 in progress[​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com>www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com</a>

3. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

AC delco, Wix, Mobil 1 are all extremely good filters, I don't recall the K&amp;N on the test, if you search on here you'll find a link for a web site where someone did some extensive testing on oil filters, and the 3 listed above and maybe some others if I recall are all almost identical and rank at the top. I do know to stay away from fram, (although I do love the commercials on tv they have going, lol)

Like em big and topless

4. shane

shane 1/2 ton status

I was looking at the K&amp;N on at the local speed shop and it at least told me how many microns it filtered. When I walk up to the counter and ask how many microns the the purolator filter will take out I get a really funny look from the parts boy. Same thing with fuel filters. Might have to run a diesel filter system just so I know what I got.

Shane

Never argue with idiots; They will drag you down to their level and beat you up with experience [​IMG]

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Well, that microns bit is a tad misleading. Something I read made a good point...if the particles it filters are smaller than the clearances in your engine, it is somewhat unnecessarily removing particles. Not that I totally agree with that (there is always some surface contact) just something I read.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    No anti-theft measures on your truck? No pity when its stolen

6. shane

shane 1/2 ton status

I work in a sawfiling dept in a saw mill and our grinders are about 80-100 thousand dollars each. They have to absolutey perfect, everytime. Anyways the documentation we have for our vollmer grinders say that you should have a filter system that is capable of removing particle down to 10% of your clearances.

Now I`m thinking what is good for a 100 thousand dollar grinder is almost good enough for my blazer, right??

The more filtration the better, I can't really see a down side to it as long as is still allows the oil to get through.

Shane

7. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

"The more filtration the better, I can't really see a down side to it as long as is still allows the oil to get through."

Only to a certain point. There will come a time, sooner or later, when the filter media will become clogged and the filter will bypass all the oil. At this point, you no longer have an oil filter. If there were some sort of external indicator to let you know when the filter went into bypass this wouldn't be an issue, but there's not, so it is. The "smaller" the filter (5 micron vs. 20 micron, for example), the faster it will clog and bypass. Now, will this happen before your oil change interval???? Who knows. Again, there's no indicator of a bypassed oil filter (that I know of--I could be wrong), so it's a bit of a gamble to run the "smallest" filter possible.
    Oil temp and base viscosity also affects when a filter will bypass. The colder the oil (or higher base viscosity), the more pressure will be needed to force the oil through the filter media, thereby risking tripping the bypass valve in the filter and allowing unfiltered oil through the engine.

I just wanted to shed some light on this subject, not step on anyone's toes. If something I've said here is wrong, please post it so we can all learn!!

It's a happy day in Marine Aircraft Group 49... 405 is ALIVE!!
    [​IMG] <font color=green>Semper Maintenance!<font color=black>

8. shane

shane 1/2 ton status

good point...good point...I`ll definelty take it into consideration. However I`m going to go with the K&amp;N oil filter as it was designed for vehicles so it should work alright. Once I`m done with it I`ll cut her open and have a look in 'er and see if she was worth the bucks. If not, onto the next one!