Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

K & N Stupid Question

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 70jimmy, Feb 23, 2002.

1. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    Just got a 14" K & N Open Air cleaner, top and bottom. With it came a small cork and rubber gasket, a small plastic piece that has 3 different diameters as it gets further away from where it mounts, and screw and nuts for installation. Would this be for PCV valve return to the air cleaner?? Gasket is a small version of a thermostat gasket. Dont see anything I need this for just thought I would check with those in the know. Thanks.

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

The pcv valve sucks all the blow by gasses out of your engine. Clean air that comes in thru a valve cover breather or a from that tube from the air cleaner replaces what the pvc sucks out. You need to have either a breather or that tube hooked up. I would do (and have done) the tube because it is one less thing to try an keep dry in a water crossing.

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/triaged>See it Here </a>

3. 70jimmy

So to install the hose do you make a hole in the element itself and attach? Or do you cut into the bottom plate. I have emailed K&amp;N but thought maybe someone had done this before. No there was nothing in the literature that came with the filter that talked about this. Thanks in advance for the help.

4. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

In most 14" filter bases (the metal portion on the carb) there is a flat boss or dimples w/ knockouts somewhere on it and the nipple part goes on the cork on the filter base, after you drill/knock out the holes. Then you hook a hose up to that and your valve cover. hope that makes sense.

The Red Beast

5. Greenblazer-AZ

Greenblazer-AZ 1/2 ton status

In the bottom plate there is a stamped place that you knock out to install the parts you're talking about. BTW buy the K&amp;N Filter recharger kit and PAY VERY CLOSE ATTENTION TO THE INSTRUCTIONS. Especially the part that says to use low pressure water for cleaning. I ruined a very expensive filter by spraying it with a garden spray nozzle. Oh well, live and learn.

If you knew the truth, you too would be against marijuana prohibition!
    Blue '74Blazer Topless W/ 35 BFG Muds1" Body Lift W/ Energy Susp. Bushings

6. 70jimmy

Thanks for the info I will take a look. Figure this would be better than a breather anyway...