Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

K&N XStream Air Flow Tops

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Z3PR, Mar 4, 2005.

1. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Anyone running a K&N XStream Air Flow Top ?? [​IMG] I like the idea of more air flow.

2. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

I always wonder about open element filters. Isn't it really hot and dirty under the hood? The stock filter holder with the plastic tube to the front of the truck seems pretty smart to me. I found one at the junk yard that holds a massive filter. Maybe four inches tall.

-Chris

3. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

supposedly adds another 1000cfm of flow cabability..... just make sure you keep the top and round filter clean. A lot of people say they don't filter but they need to be cleaned often because the filtration is based on oiled cotton wrapped in wire... if the oil gets a good amount of dust stuck to it it won't filter as well.

4. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

All of the following is my opinion.

Instead of buying a K&N air filter, why not just use some window screen from Home Depot? It'll catch almost as much dirt and certainly flow all the air you could want. Personally, I run the 14x5 filter housing that came stock on my buddies 84 K5 with a 305. I use an Amsoil 2 stage foam filter that I have been very impressed with. The only current mods to my filter housing is where I cut the intake duct off right before it necked down. Setting aside my bias against K&N style air filters, I think the "X-Stream" lid is a bad idea on an off road vehicle. Just take a look at how much crud accumulates on top of your factory airbox lid. Do you really want that stuff sitting on your filter just trying to get sucked into your engine?

5. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

not trying to argue but.....

most people who say k and n's don't filter didn't clean it in time and in that case it WONT filter like its supposed to. It has to be cleaned and oiled over and over for it to do its job the way it was desinged. window screen cotton and oil is the filter... 4 layers of cotton and oil will filter just fine... the screen is just to hold it all in place.

I haven't had anything like mud or rocks or any of that crap on my lid and i've turned my paintjob brown with mud many times.

6. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I agree, not fond of the looks of them for wheeling either. My past stock housing were always collecting mud and debris from deep crossings and such fling stuff in the engine compartment.

Have always been a fan of K&N but I was readin an article once. They said to hold up a clean filter to a light. If you can see clear light coming through, then dirt can enter those areas also... I still do have a K&N on top of an engine, but if I were to get another, I'd probably opt'd for a multi-layer foam filter or stock.. :dunno:

7. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

you mean like a pre filter?

I just realized i saw these things on speed.... the corr offroad racing trucks. they run k and n filters with the xtreme lid and the k and n prefilters. I think im going to get a couple of those for the chrome xtreme lid and filter. just to be safe.

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Well, I sold my truck a while back, I was more thinking of the filter top for my El Camino. It's just a street machine. Any opinions on the filter top for just that ??

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Why should you have to run 2 filters when one will do the job? My cousin runs K&Ns with a prefilter on his race car. Always seemed stupid to me. I took the K&N off my 95 pickup one day and held it up to a light, I could see holes that grains of sand could easily pass through. No amount of oil would stop that.

10. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

I don't know maybe i got lucky but i can't see any light going through..... it is a brand new filter but even the old ass one that was on when i bought it didn't have any light showing. the prefilter is just added filtration.... all these people say that k and n's don't filter so they came out with a foam pre filter to put ontop of the standard one. I still don't see how k and n would be the number one selling filter if it didn't filter.... you would think a magazine or two would expose it.

11. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Why do Tornados still sell even though we all know they do jack? MARKETING

12. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

you know im gonna say put it on because mine is on the way for my truck.

even if it sees dirt(which it probably won't) it will do fine.

13. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

maybe but tornadoes are different.... they claim 1 million people have bought them... k and ns crush that number.... plus you don't see 800hp baja trucks that run the most extreme conditions running anything but k and ns and k and n pre filters. I have yet to see a tornadoe on a trophy truck.

14. blazerpro79

blazerpro79 1/2 ton status

i have one and i love it. it takes in a lot more air in, and you can hear a difference and feel a slight power difference. it makes your intake sound a lot meaner.

15. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

I don't care what anyone says, I love my K&N. For the simple fact that I have had standard air filters get wet while wheelin' and had to drive home w/ NO filter because the Fram/Brand of your choice fell apart and/or collapsed. My K&N has been wet, muddy, etc... and keeps on tickin'. Go ahead and let a little more dirt in, it keeps working trip after trip.

16. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Marketing.

K&N sponsers almost every type of racing out there. Their goal was to burn their name into people's heads when they think of air filters. Ask ANYONE that knows anything about automotive type stuff to name the first performance filter to come to mind and they will probably say K&N. The general "performance" public will think K&N before anything else when it comes to filters because everywhere you look you see an add or someone with them, the more people that buy them, the more their name is out there. Its a snow ball effect, which is why they are so popular.

You bought a K&N over everything else...and why is that???? Because you hear 10 times as much advertisizing from them about how well they perform and filter. It's just a big brain wash IMHO.

17. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

my point is that the big trophy truck teams like terrible herbst that show up with giant trailers and multiple trucks/teams could obviously afford to give up that one little k and n sponsor and run something that would filter better. they spend long amounts of time in huge dust clouds and im sure they would rather save a 30,000 dollar engine than keep the k and n sticker on the side.

18. rjfguitar

Not when K&N buys the engines for a team. It's MARKETING and their efforts have paid off with you.

If K&N approached a very good desert race team and offered to pay for their engine for an exchange of them using their filters, painting K&N all over the truck, and support K&N when they win..... why would they care how well the filter acutally works? They have the engine paid for anyway, plus probably get a bunch of cash towards other parts.

Now you as a consumer sees some desert race team win the Baja 1000 and make a federal case about how the air filter made all the difference in the world....... marketing.

19. rjfguitar

It's kind of like Fram filters, they used to be so "performance" oriented because they did gobs and gobs of marketing of their product.

20. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

what do you recommend?

incase you didn't know this about racing the bigger the sticker or paint job the more expensive. I GAURANTEE k and n does not pay for the engines... they ask them to run a k and n and a sticker and say we will give you x amount for x place. if they don't win they get almost nothing compared to the budjet they have. If k and n financed a truck it would have k and n alll over it and not a little 6 inch sticker on the fender.

the prefilter combined with the k and n does the job... that is basically a dirtbike airfilter ontop of a k and n... ask me how i know. I'll tell you... i had a 99 yz 125 with a foam filter that came from the factory.... dirtbikes run is dust 24/7 and almost all the time in another dirtbikes trail. All it is a oiled foam. the same concept for the little nitro powered rc trucks that sit in my room. your using that and a k and n when you run a kandn with a prefilter.