Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1. 70jimmy#2

70jimmy#2 Registered Member

I just had to send back a K+N filtercharger (element and assembly) that I bought for my 70 Jimmy which has a 350 w/ Quadrajet. The unit I sent back was 14" in diameter and 6" in height. The firewall got in the way before I could even place it over the carb. The next size down according to Summit is 11" in diameter and 3 3/4 in height. Anyone out there running a bigger element than this on a 69-72 Blazer/Jimmy with a Quadrajet ?

2. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>I've got a 71 with am Edlebrock carb and an 11" air filter. it worked fine when i had the Q-Jet. The motors in our trucks are pushed way back in the firewall, thats why i took the whole nose off when i changed the motor. the motor can be moved up by unbolting the engine crossmember and moving it to the holes in front of where it was.</font color=blue>

3. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I have a 72K5 and I am useing a 14" K&N.
    Now I do have a body lift also, so my motor sits 3" lower in the engine bay. Don't no if thats why the 14"er fits fine on my rig or what.
    I have a 350 w/Edlebrock Q-Jet and Performer intake.
    Ohya I do run a 21/2" riser type cylender ontop of the Q-jet between the carb & filter.
    Good luck
    Burt4x4

Rock ON!

4. 70jimmy#2

70jimmy#2 Registered Member

Thanks for the input guys, that's the second time you've helped me out Burt. The first time was a roll bar / soft top combo question, you didn't mention if you had a Kayline top on your K5, or if you were happy with it.

5. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Yes I do have the Kayline top (black) and I love it![​IMG]
    It even seals better than the hard top for rainy days!
    The hard tops rubber is old and the top itself is warped!
    I just moved so still have the hard top on now but not for long!! I think I will let my wife make it into a flower box [​IMG]
    Have a good one!
    Burt4x4

Rock ON!

6. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

Not sure if this will help. Summit sells a Summit brand filter which has a reuseable element. They have a model with an offset carb hole that's made for clearing the HEI distributor. Maybe that one can clear your firewall. I think the element is supposed to be the same as K&Ns or maybe you could swap the element with a K&N if you don't want anything else.

Hope this helps

<font color=purple>////////
    Drive it like gas is </font color=purple><font color=red>$2.00/gal!!!</font color=red>
    [​IMG]