Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

K10 dual tanks -- what's broken?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by shewheeler, Oct 7, 2002.

1. shewheeler

shewheeler 1/2 ton status

K10 dual tanks -- what\'s broken?

Hi All,

77 K10 with dual tanks. The problem that I'm having is that sometimes with the left fuel tank, even if there is gas in there, I will "run out of gas"! If there is gas in the right tank, I can dump a little down the carb and she fires back up, but it won't start on the left tank again. The interior switch is working (i.e., I can flip the switch from one tank to the other and the fuel gauge will register both tanks).

This has happened twice already about 6 months apart /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

What needs to be replaced? Thanks!

2. 4x4k20

4x4k20 1/2 ton status

Re: K10 dual tanks -- what\'s broken?

there is a fuel switch solenoid under the cab at the back of the cab on the right side if you crawl under there you will see it there are about 6 gas lines going to it it is probably bad jc whitney sells them for about 40 a peice

3. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

With yours being a 77, you should have a valve underneath (just follow the fuel lines) with two Inlets and two Outlets (and maybe two returns if return lines are used). The valve could be bad, or you may have a plugged line coming from the left tank, a kinked line (as happened to mine) or the pickup sock in the tank could be clogged. Did this come factory or did someone convert it from single to dual tanks (as I did)? The switch controls the gauges through one set of wires, but another wire goes down to the solenoid (valve) to swap tanks. Even though the guages read correctly, the wire going to the solenoid could be bad, or the solenoid lost its ground plane (check to see if there is a ground wire, if not it grounds directly through the casing, so you can remove the valve, wire brush the frame and attachement point and re-install). PM if you have any more ???'s

4. shewheeler

shewheeler 1/2 ton status

Thanks! I'll check it out!