Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

K10 SWB or K5?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by beater_k20, Apr 5, 2004.

1. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

i'm at a point in my project where i've done alot, yet i've done nothing... i've accumulated most of the parts that one would need to put together a capable truck. i bought a 79 K10 SWB parts truck, but it was a little more tweaked than i thought it was, and the bed floor... well, what bed floor? and then i've got my 86 C10 that was going to be the body donor for the cab and front clip. the 86 is a complete one owner truck that just needs a bit of engine work. everything else works great, including the CC and AC. the more work i put into this project, the more i think it would be cooler to have a K5. something about being able to haul more than one or two people at a time, keeping my cargo dry if ever i have any, and taking the top off and cruising/wheeling. you just cant get that stuff with a SWB pickup. i discussed this with Tim this weekend, and he pretty much told me i was crazy. his main concern seemed to be centered around the rear shaft being so much shorter. are there any other advantages or disadvantages that one has over the other? i'd really like some educated input on this one, to help me make a decision on my rig before i get too far into it. if the K5 seems to be the better route, and doesnt have too many problems, i may get the C10 running and sell it to purchase a K5 shell.

here's what i've got...

86 C10 solid 1 owner 114,000 mi truck.
    79 K10 SWB frame and box
    SM465
    NP205
    hydro clutch setup for 465
    3/4 ton axles
    Sky disc brackets for the 14FF
    Echobit shackle flip
    TC EZ Ride 6" springs
    Vortec 5.7 longblock
    87 TBI setup

everything i've got as far as chassis and drivetrain should pretty much drop right on to a K5, and none of it is actually on the frame yet. thanks for your input in advance.

2. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

I'd go with the pickup myself, K5 WB is a bit short, and you have most of what you need already

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

If the c10 is as cherry as you say, you should get a pretty penny for it. That could help you find a donor with floor and get a daily driver. Just a thought. A truck in that condition can go for 3 grand minimum here, and someone would actually pay it too /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

4. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

it needs repair in the wheel arches, and the cab corners, but for this area it is an extremely clean truck. bed inside has had a bedliner in it since new, and isnt even scratchedi was thinking something along the lines of $1500 for it, in running condition of course.

5. justinf

justinf 1/2 ton status

I would say the rear shaft wouldn't be much of a concern if you have one built right and you keep the lift down, trim the fenders for clearance. I run the jeep with a 14 bolt rear and 38" tires, the rear shaft is extremely short, but is not a problem. The jeep does flex like mad.

6. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I can give you an educated opinion here.
    I have a K5, a long bed, a crewcab and an extracab.
    No short bed yet.
    -The k5 is too short, I am extending it to shortbed length.
    -The longbed is too long I am shortening it to shortbed length.
    -The crewcab is way too long so I am shortening it to longbed length.

Do you see an answer here?
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

The answer is that the shortbed is the best of both worlds.

I have never owned a K5 but I've had longbeds and shortbed trucks.

The shortbed K10 is the lightest in weight of all of the straight axle Chevy trucks. I'm going to weigh mine but I'd bet I've got the lightest full bodied rig on this website that has 1 ton axles, a 4 speed, and 205.

This alone was enough motivation for me to build the truck I've built.

It's about 119" wheelbase and has a rear shaft 52" long. Can't get much better than that if you ask me.

8. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

we've already determined that your opinion doesnt matter in this thread, so STFU. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif BTW, i am going to try and get the 86 running (possibly to use the 305 in the K10 for a while) or to sell the 305. i already promised the frame to a friend of mine, so the C10 has to come apart. if i cant get it to run, it will become a coffee table. next question where to find a woman that will allow a small block chevy in her living room as furniture...

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

She was at the house yesterday. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    She was at the house yesterday. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

why yes she was...

11. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Like Tim said.....

I'd go with the SWB as its the lightest of all GM trucks in production. Its got the "right" wheelbase, too.

The main thing that attracts me to SWB's is the weight itself. Plus the shorter bed looks pretty sexy, too. I even like stepsides also. But still, nothing speaks like that that low, low overall weight of those trucks. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

12. socalblazer

socalblazer 1/2 ton status

Just my 2 cents. I'm partial to K5's for the passenger space. After all, when you find that girl that'll accept the 350 coffee table, where are you gonna fit her friends? Also, I guess it depends on what kind of wheelin' you'll be doing. Good luck!

13. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Shortbox without a bed... because I can't seem to keep my longbox off trees. I'd make my own custom box that can take the abuse of running up against trees, rocks, and banks of dirt. It'll also let you address all of the rear overhang issues you'll eventually be tired of having.

I've got a K5 that I've only driven a hundred feet under its own power and it seems a bit too short. And it feels heavy. I always wanted to put a truck cab on a K5 frame but like I said it seems a bit too short.

14. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I've always like K5's better then pick ups. But thats just me.