Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

K20 1978 axles id

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Ronnie4wd, Sep 5, 2002.

1. Ronnie4wd

Ronnie4wd 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Hallo Offroaders.I`ve swapped axles on my 1/5 ton Jimmy to 3/4 ton.Now I need id for the axles on paper to show for the Swedish car test company.I don`t have the chassis nr from the K20.All the trouble because I want to register it as a 3/4 ton truck.Found alot of numbers on the axles but the GM dealer in Sweden told me they don`t match

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I'm sorry, the language barrier is pretty thick here. What exactly is it that you need? </font color>

3. Ronnie4wd

Papers that show it is axles from a 3/4 ton.Or the chassis number from a K20 1978

4. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

Do you have to register your rig as a 3/4 ton just because you are swapping in 3/4 ton axles?
    As for a VIN click here
    Technicly it is still a 1/2 ton rig, The GVWR is still the same.
    Just because I have 8 lug axles under my rig does not mean I can load up 3000 lbs of crete and hit the road.
    Still not sure about why you need a VIN to swap the axles. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

5. Ronnie4wd

Here in Sweden you can register your 1/2 ton as a 3/4 ton if you have mounted the springs,brakes and all that from a 3/4 ton.The difference between those are that you need truckdriverslicence to drive the 3/4 ton.Maybe they`re going to raise the road taxes for the 1/2 ton from 150 USD/year to 1700 USD/year.The 3/4 ton won`t be raised (now).These taxes are only for diesel cars and trucks the gasoline ones are cheaper in taxes.

6. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Funny how the DMV would inspect the truck and immediately see the 3/4 ton axles and actually know what they are. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I've never heard of this.....going by the axles for the VIN instead of the body of the truck. That sounds like too much hassle to change rather than just leave the current VIN alone. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I don't think they change the existing VIN. It seems that using the VIN from the axle donor vehicle, they know what weight class to place the vehicle in since it was modified. That part of the world has MUCH stricter motor vehicle standards than the US has. Most of our junk wouldn't be street legal over there. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif But pay VERY close attention to what he's going through as there are plenty of politicians here that would love to enact similar laws that would affect us. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

8. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

Well if that is all he needs...
    /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gifGhost truck VIN /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif
    ........CKL248F999929........
    C= Division(Chevrolet)
    K=chassis type(4 wheel drive)
    L=engine designation (350 4 barrel carb)
    2=series(3/4 ton)
    4=body style(pickup)
    8= year(1978)
    F=assembly pant(Flint Michigan)
    999929=unit #(999,929th one off the assembly line)
    Or a 1978 Chevy 3/4 ton 4x4 pickup with a 350.
    Since we are building a rig..
    It would have an SM 465 gearbox and a 205 t-case, Silverado package Camper Special (8200GVWR) with all the bells and whistles of course. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

9. Ronnie4wd

Thankyou Harry H3 and Powermad you really understood my problem.The other problem is my english,but i`m working on it by reading this site

10. Ronnie4wd

OK now it´s completed it took a total of 2 years but now it´s done thank´s to you guy´s . /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

11. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Glad to hear it is together.