Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

k20 vs. k5

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by SmokinLB7, Apr 11, 2007.

1. SmokinLB7

SmokinLB7 1/2 ton status

So im not sure about this one, which would be better for off road type stuff. A k20 or a k5? Which one is just generally known to do better?

Thanks
    Zach

2. onetonbb74

onetonbb74 1/2 ton status

k5 for its wheelbase. K20 is going to have better axles stock, thats about it. With that being said, i have a k20 and i love it for wheeling/camping/hauling.

3. mr.smartass

mr.smartass 1 ton status Premium Member

Depends... K20 could have lower gears and a big block and 3/4 ton axles...

4. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Having a K5 and trying to get more wheelbase out of it for drivelines I would take a K20 or K30 anyday. With a crewcab you can bob the bed and have plenty of room for peeps and stuff and have no driveline issues.

Just my .02

Ira

5. vortec

vortec 1/2 ton status

k5!!!!!!!!! woohoo!!! swapping 3/4 ton axles into a k5 is a lot less hassle than personally, i like the 1-piece body of the k5, as opposed to cab/bed split. and, are we forgetting the obvious? going topless in the k5 is fun and very handy. get into a spot too tight for the doors to open, and just hop out the back of the blazer.

6. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 1/2 ton status

A bobbed longbed is about right for an all-around rig, IMO.

7. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Some obstacles wheelbase longer helps , others shorter works better .

However , you can sleep in a Blazer all weekend without having to buy a camper shell :pimp:

8. twoslo4five0

twoslo4five0 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

i personally favor the burb cause i can sleep in it,haul alot of people,and can get one 3/4 ton stock...

9. longbedder

longbedder 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Shortbed pickups kick arse. They're a good compromise on wheelbase (117.5"), and I think they look great.

10. Randy92782

Randy92782 1 ton status

i've had em all. for what i do i love the K5. next would be a short bed and then the long. longbeds are almost too long for trails around here. but they do work. so K5 FTW

11. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

ive got both, a k5 and a k30 (longbed). both are lifted and ive wheeled both of them. as much as i love my k5, i think longbeds are the way to go. the big advantage i see is that, if you smash a body panel on a pickup, no big deal, unbolt the bed put a new one on. with a k5, you are ****d (i found out the hard way). both are sweet to have tho. originally i preferred k5's, but now im a longbed guy. plus with the bench seat, you can easily sleep in it.

12. SmokinLB7

SmokinLB7 1/2 ton status

HAHA this is making it so much worse. Everyone is bringing up really good points and now i want them both. But of course i dont get to have both. It seems like we have a pretty nice split right down the middle here. Let me break it down a bit.

Which one is going to aticulate better?

Better for overall wheeling, with sleeping and people hauling not a factor?

Say I had a K5 with a 6" lift, 38's, D60/14FF, Dual lockers, 305/700r4...or...K20 8" lift, 350/D60/14FF, Dual lockers, can I fit 38's

Which lift combo has the best articulation, because I think that is what I am really looking for.

Thanks again fellas,
    Zach

13. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

to make it harder, ill post a teaser pic of both my trucks:p: both have 9" lift and 39.5's. i think pickups are more badass. both can articulate as good as the other, having more wheelbase makes it easier. with a longbed, if your worried bout hitting stuff bob the bed (i think that looks killer)

DSCN0750.JPG

DSCN0549 (2).JPG

14. Randy92782

Randy92782 1 ton status

my choice would be the K5 but we've already established that. i think the truck would articulate better because of the separation of the cab and bed but i'm probably wrong. the K5's body is solid. so idk man to all his own. i'm personally wanting to get my new truck (not new new but late 70's shortbed stepside)going so i can wheel it and see what it won't do

15. SmokinLB7

SmokinLB7 1/2 ton status

Hey MuddyBuddy :saweet: I am never going to get to sleep tonight. I am drooling right now. You could have the sickest set of trucks ever in the history of all man kind.

I have no idea what I am going to do.

16. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 1/2 ton status

Articulation has little to do with wheelbase. It's all about spring rate and shock length. Lots of flexy leaf sprung rigs on here, both SWB and LWB.

A Blazer is nice because it's so compact. The topless thing is nice too. For 95% of the people out there, it's not going to matter. The biggest issue with the SWB is driveline angle if you're lifting or really flexing things out. All of the body panels are going to get smashed, too, but you can carry four people. A lot of guys end up extending their wheelbase when they start building a serious rig.

The LWB is going to be a little more stable and forgiving, but the extra wheelbase is going to make the underside of your rig more susceptable to damage depending on lift/ tire size. With a truck, you can flatbed it to avoid body damage. The big downside to a LWB rig is length. It's going to be more difficult on tight trails and/or turnarounds.

How hardcore of a rig are you building? For a fun rig that will allow your friends along and has a removable top, Blazer.

If you need a rig that can tow, or your really planning on doing extreme stuff, I'd start with the LWB, and shorten/ flatbed it.

You can kind of see a progression around CK5 amongst the hardcore guys, first Blazer, then massive body damage, then Truggy- usually with some tube and taper, then full-on tube frame buggy.

It all depends on what you're going to do.

If you need the wheelbase, and the ability to haul extra people, a Regular Cab LWB truck with a Crew Cab and short flatbed is one of my favorite choices.

17. SmokinLB7

SmokinLB7 1/2 ton status

Wow thank you, that was a pretty big help. I dont need to tow. But you would say even go with the truck for extreme stuff. Are you saying that a K20 can be tougher than a K5? I just want to make sure.

18. mogulmasher

mogulmasher Registered Member

I was searching for a K5, but found my K20 and couldn't pass it up. Turns out I love the lwb....it rides much better, and I rarely ever need to carry more then a couple people anyways.

Probably still will get a K5 when I'm sick of this one....just can't pass up the cool factor cruising with the top off in summer!

[​IMG]

19. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

I don't have a K30 long bed but I do have a K5. As much as I love the long bed trucks I don't see how they could possibly be better off road, which is what the original question was about. IIRC the K5 was made for offroad- not towing, hauling, etc. but off road. Both could have the engine, tranny, axles, etc. modified to produce power/strength etc. It basically comes down to wheelbase b/c that's the main difference. When you look at turning radius, wheelbase, etc. I can't see the K30 keeping up with the K5 on the same trail. Heck all it takes is one steep hill and the K30 could bottom out, while the K5 rolls right over. If you put a K30 and K5 on the same trail- barring a mechanical failure I see the K5 far ourperforming a K30.

20. SmokinLB7

SmokinLB7 1/2 ton status

See thats what I was thinking too but then everyone was saying a long bed can be just as good. I could see that a LWB truck would be perfect for something to get stuff to the top of the mountain, and go camping and hunting with, but it just seems like a K5 could be put through the paces a little bit more. I am kinda leaning towards my K5. So hopefully someone will buy my K20 so I can start the build!!