Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

K30 and K5 Steering questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by camiswelding, Jun 9, 2003.

1. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

Question #1 Im unhappy with my k30 steering.. 5 1/2 inch superlift with a 2 1/2/inch block and a dropped draglink... steering is now vague... superlift sold me the block but I dont like it. All the front end is new,, would I be better off using a 2 inch dropped steering arm and doing away with the blocK? Isnt the draglink supposed to have a little "downhill" in it and not be level (as mine is now)
    Question #2 Just completed the d60 install on my blazer with ORD stuff (excellent quality and everything worked with only minor massaging.... Now.. centering the wheel.. my box has about 3 1/4 turns lock to lock... do I find the center of that or is there a spot where the box wants to center itself.... then use the draglink to center the steering wheel??? My manual doesnt talk about this
    Thanks for the replies
    CamsK5 Redding Calif
    still looking to giveaway a cherry k30 frame.... /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Detach the drag link from the pitman arm. Turn the wheel all the way to one lock. Count the # of turns to the other lock. Go back 1/2 of those turns and the box will now be centered. If the steering wheel isn't centered it is because someone put it on wrong and you should put it back on centered now. Point the tires straight. Adjust the drag link untill it will bolt up with the pitman arm. If it is still not on when you drive it you can make a minor adjustment to it then.

It is my belief that the drag link should not always sit level to minimize bump steer. It should closly follow the slope of the spring form the front eye to the axle. This works out to needing about 4" of steering correction with a 6" lift. Drop drag links do not count to me as "steering correction" with respect to bump steer. The link will behave the same same weather or not it has a curve to it. What it does do is make your drag link ends (DLE's) have less angle on them so you are less likely to max them out while flexing the truck out.

3. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

thanks for the well written reply.. Im on it
    cam /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif