Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

K30 Burb mystery solved

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by wayne, Apr 14, 2002.

1. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

I just got the scoop on the K30 Burb mystery. Yes they were made but they were not a true 1 ton. They did not have a 60 front from the factory. If you find one with a 60 front it was swapped in by either the dealer or another company/person. They also did not have a 1 ton frame. What they were were 3/4 tons with a 1 ton rating so GM could cover their ass with gross vehicle weight ratings. If you find one in the 80's years it will most likely have a 10 bolt 8 lug front. These were a special order vehicle.

2. mudrunner78

mudrunner78 1/2 ton status

I was also checking into the same....checked with local dealer and found that there were 13 1981 sub's made wih dually axles in my area. when I say made I mean at the dealer they were included with dana 60 fronts(looked at the build sheet for one) and two are still regularly serviced at the dealer. I gave my number to the dealer to pass off to these owners so I can get some pictures. Jesse

3. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Well that makes more sense now.

Notice on the M-series trucks, the 1 ton is rated at 5/4, or 1.25 ton, and the Blazer is a 1/2 ton rated at 3/4 ton by military spec.

This makes more sense now for military spec on a 3/4 ton Sub to be rated at 1 ton. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Damn government!! Always messing with a good thing. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Still doesn't change the fact that you don't have a K30 Suburban. How can you be the K30 guy without a K30 Sub? Drivetrain doesn't matter, its still a K30. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

5. thatK30guy

Believe me, one of these days I'm gonna get that Sub from a friend I know. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif It's a 3/4 ton right now, but when I get done with it, it's gonna be a 1 ton! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

6. Hossbaby50

Ya, but it wouldn't be a true factory documented K30. It just a cheap imitation. You wouldn't want to have a poser K30 Sub, would you. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

7. thatK30guy

Poser? Who care's about being labeled a poser when at least the Sub will have a D60 front! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

BTW, you think it really matters to all the Blazer owners on this site who have swapped in a D60 and their documentation is false? /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

So, I guess all the Blazer people who have front D60's are all posers. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

8. Hossbaby50

I know, I'm just messing with you. If I figure if I can guilt you into not getting a D60 in the front, that leaves me one more D60 to find./forums/images/icons/smile.gif

9. thatK30guy

LMAO!! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

I know you are messing with me! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif Me, too! /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

What do you mean leaving you one more D60 to find? Having enough trouble finding one yourself anyways? Call Boyce Equipment. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif /forums/images/icons/blush.gif (bend over and grab your ankles!) /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

10. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Hey Wes, I represent that statement. Maybe I should register my Jimmy as a 1 ton. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

11. thatK30guy

/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif LMAO!!

Good luck! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

You calling my 3/4 ton shortbox a cheap imitation?

13. Hossbaby50

What if I am?

I have a 14bff sitting in my driveway waiting to go in, and the 8 lug hubs and backing plates are sitting in my dorm room. So I guess I will be an imitation too. I guess a 3/4 ton shortbox, and a 3/4 ton Blazer or Jimmy, because there is nothing to imitate. There is no "real" 3/4 ton or 1 ton Blazer, Jimmy, or Shortbox. So ThatK30Guy will have a cheap imitation, but you and me won't./forums/images/icons/smile.gif

14. scotty1

scotty1 1/2 ton status

Truck trader had a chevy sub duallie for sale in Cumberland MD, I think they wanted $14K for it. I forget what year but I thinks it was a early mid eighties. UPDATE, I checked on it, it is a 84 GMC and has a 454/475 motor and has been reduced to $11K OBO. I think it is someones custom rig. 301-729-4829 if anyone wants to call about it.

15. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Poser here..........

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

What do you mean leaving you one more D60 to find? Having enough trouble finding one yourself anyways? Call Boyce Equipment. (bend over and grab your ankles!)

<hr></blockquote>

Wanna hear something amazing..............? We all think (rightfully) that $1K to pay for a D60 is ridiculous...........the majority of POR guys not only think they are a good deal, lots have bought direct from Boyce. I was replied to multiple times that they felt $3K was acceptable for an axle with a warranty............/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

16. thatK30guy

In that case, the next D60 I find, I'm gonna register as a different user and with a different ISP to sell the axle for $2000. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

17. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

It won't work Wes. Your too big an a-hole to hang out over there. Those that hang out on Pirate must show respect and proper net etiquette or face the penalty and be banned for life. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

18. thatK30guy

PM me for a secret I will tell you! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

"Show respect and proper etiquette"?!?!?! WTF? Wasn't I doing that, too? /forums/images/icons/blush.gif /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

19. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Well I guess I need to up the price on the ones I sell. I will sell a rebuilt 60 with warrenty for 3k. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

20. mudrunner78

mudrunner78 1/2 ton status

well I went to see one of the dually subs today, this truck was pretty stout. It was a Dana 60 front dana 70 rear 4.56 gears, th-400/np 205, just like a normal 1 ton. I took some measurement of the spring centers and other things for my list, and these hangers seem to be the 1 ton version. The hangers that are farther inboard to the frame. I dont know to much about all the versions of k series trucks(thats why I seem to measure everything). But I thought it was quite intresting the owner (a man in his 70's) even had the window sticker and bill of sale. I took some pics and will post them when they get developed. Jesse