Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

K30 Crew Cab - Cummins Powered

Discussion in 'General Parts for Sale' started by K30CJ, Aug 25, 2004.

1. K30CJ

K30CJ 1/2 ton status

1979 K30 Silverado
    Cummins 5.9L Turbo diesel mildly bombed - est. 200hp/600 lb. ft. torque at rear wheels
    Injection pump rebuilt recently
    5 speed manual trans – rebuilt recently
    NP205 transfer case
    Dana 60 front and 14 bolt FF axles original to truck – 4.10 gears
    PS, PB, AC works, tilt wheel
    Gooseneck ball in bed, wired for 7 pin RV plug
    Tekonsha electric brake controller
    Pioneer AM/FM/cass

New in the last month - front wheel bearings and seals, axle and transfer case oil change, engine oil and filter.

New in the last year – 4” Skyjacker lift, drop pitman arm, shocks, 33” tires, AR wheels, converted AC to R134, heater fan motor.

New in the last five years – all the sheet metal and paint (has not been in salt since), Cummins conversion, exhaust, dual fuel tanks, valves and senders.

This is a great truck that pulls awesome. It will get 17-18 mpg without the trailer. It has had almost everything replaced or rebuilt except the interior. Mechanically it needs nothing. The body and paint are in good shape. The inside is original and a little rough. The good news is that I have almost everything needed to redo it. I have GM carpets and padding, sill plates, nice aftermarket cloth bucket/bench/console seats (front and back match), four complete doors with PW and PL, nice door panels, tinted windows, wiring harnesses, all the plastic trim pieces and weather stripping. All these interior parts are light gray. The two extra front doors are bent from a wreck, but door panels and guts are fine. The two extra rear doors are CHERRY. No rust or dents. The doors on the truck are nice, so these extras could be sold or saved.

The truck pulls a heavy trailer without breaking a sweat. The rear springs are from a dually camper, and don’t sag when loaded heavy. The engine has had some mild fueling mods. It has a K&N filter and a 3” straight exhaust. A Chevy guy can have the best diesel too! I would not be afraid to drag a trailer all the way across the country, and I have. It has not been abused or used for pulls. The toolbox is not included.

Hate to let it go, but I have realized I don’t have the time to finish it. I have a new 7 day week job and family keeping me busy. Planning to sell my two trucks and get a newer Cummins truck.

Asking $7800. Reply with any questions. Thanks.

[​IMG]

2. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

I seen the truck last weekend at the badlands (in the parking lot with the trailer). ITs NICE! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

3. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

omg if only i had $7800 /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

4. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

Man, its tempting to sell my gas guzzling '81 and buy yours. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

What 5 speed tranny is it? The NV4500 or Getrag?

5. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

I have to add my 2 cents that this is an amazing truck!

6. justinf

justinf 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Man, its tempting to sell my gas guzzling '81 and buy yours. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

What 5 speed tranny is it? The NV4500 or Getrag?

[/ QUOTE ]

He may add some more info later, but it is a Getrag.

7. K30CJ

K30CJ 1/2 ton status

Yes it is a Getrag. They don't have the best reputation, but most failures I have heard of are oil related. Either not the right type or not enough. The standard fill level does not keep the upper bearings lubed well enough. Also, this trans requires 5W30 synthetic motor oil. Those in the know use that and fill it will 5 quarts, instead of the standard 3.5. That's what I have done. This is my second truck with a Getrag, and I have not had problems, even towing heavy trailers. This one was professionally rebuilt about two years ago, less than 20K miles, by a local truck shop. It doesn't even leak, which my last one did. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

This truck is awesome. I have seen it in person and it is very impressive.

If I had $7800 I'd be all over it. It is a great tow rig and has everything you need, big cab, air conditioning, turbo diesel, 4 speed, D60, etc. Damn do I wish I could afford this truck.

No way in hell you can touch such a good tow rig at such a great price as this one guys!

John,

What are you going to tow your Jeep with? You're not getting out of four wheeling, I hope?

9. K30CJ

K30CJ 1/2 ton status

Not getting out wheeling, that's for sure! I'm just trying to make better use of the limited time off I have now, so I CAN keep wheeling! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif Trying to drop the project of re-doing my interior. That way I can keep my Jeep trail ready for when I get days off to play.

When I sell the crew cab, I'll sell or trade my other truck for a newer Cummins powered truck that will be able to pull the trailer. I'm looking for a nice 12 valve '96 - '98.5 Dodge 2500 club cab 4x4.

How did you end up doing in the RTC? I liked the air you had coming out of the hole at the end of Buzzard's Roost.

10. K30CJ

K30CJ 1/2 ton status

More pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I got 14th place.

And NOBODY got that wheelie on video.

12. mountainexplorer

I'm really considering this. I'm making plans to see what I can sell my '81 for. I rarely ever want to let go of any of my "children", but I'm looking at the fuel mileage.

13. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Hmm... My mom is considering it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. K30CJ

K30CJ 1/2 ton status

Good to hear. I understand. I can't imagine driving a gasser version of mine with 87 going for nearly $2 per gallon. I fill both tanks with diesel (40 gallons total) and go 1.5 to 2 weeks. Weird how my crew cab gets better mileage than my 1/2 ton Dodge with a 318.

I guarantee you'd also be impressed with the towing ability of the Cummins compared to gas. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

15. K30CJ

K30CJ 1/2 ton status

I had my camera, but couldn't get over there in time. Saw it from behind.

16. K30CJ

K30CJ 1/2 ton status

I'm headed for The Cliffs in Marseilles this weekend. If someone in that area wants to check out the truck, let me know. /forums/images/graemlins/crewcab.gif

17. K30CJ

K30CJ 1/2 ton status

18. mountainexplorer

I'm still trying to work my magic so I can buy it. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

19. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Depending on what time you get there i may still be there. Im doing the Land Of Lincoln event, and im not positive what time ill be leaving for rockport.

If only i had $7800 /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

20. K30CJ

K30CJ 1/2 ton status

Maybe I'll meet ya. If I had known a little sooner about the event, I would have entered. Sounds like a good one. Been wanting to check out both of those new parks. Have other plans for Monday now. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Hey, make an offer. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif