Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

K30 Frame Q

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Swanson52, Nov 13, 2002.

1. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

On the rear of a K30, is the frame itself physically different from the K20 and lighter, necessitating the narrower spring mounting location, or is it the spring hangers that are different? Ultimately what I am wondering-Can I swap the spring hangers off a K5/10/20 to relocate the springs outboard slightly to accommodate the use of a 3/4t 14 bolt?

2. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

K30 frames are narrower then K10 and K20

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

3. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

I do know for a fact that the K30 spring hangers are thinner than a K10. I've wondered if the frame is actually different or if it's just the hangers that make it narrower, but I havent ever measured the frames to verify.

4. blwnbwtie

blwnbwtie Registered Member

the frames are narower to allow more tire clearance for the duallies /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

5. BARRAZA

BARRAZA 1/2 ton status

K30 frames are different yes, but they have the same distance between the frame rails as 1/2 and 3/4. Its the spring hangers that are riveted to the frame that make the springs different width. The hanger doesnt hold the spring as far out to the side of the frame as the lighter frames, so the springs are narrower. You could change out the spring hangers to get the proper spacing, but it would be a lot of cutting to get all four of the hangers off. Also, be aware that there are several different heights of hangers.

6. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Where do some of these answers come from?

The K30 frame is different, but not in width. As was mentioned, the hangers are the key to the narrower perches. Just swap a set of K20 hangers and it should be fine. If I'm not mistaken (never checked) the hole pattern will line up. If not, just drill to match...

7. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Oh, as far as removing the hangers, it's no big deal. All of mine have been removed and relocated more than once. I just replaced the rivets with grade 8 bolts (3/8 x 1.25) using locking nuts along with split ring washers. Easiest way to remove the rivets is to "slot" them (like a common screw) using a 1/4 grinding wheel, then fold in each side using an air chisel, followed by driving thru the stud with the air chisel punch.

8. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Here's a pic of the 1-ton frame:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    As you can see, the frame is the same width from the fuel tanks all the way back. The springs ARE spaced closer to make room for DRW's - that's why the shocks are inboard.

Also note that 1-tons have 8" tall channel vs. 6" for 1/2 and 3/4-tons. Since the front hanger for the rear springs bolts to the 8" channel, you will get nearly 2" of lift by swapping on hangers from a K10/20 (you also need a rear end with K10/20 width spring perches though)

9. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

The rear axle under my truck (85 K30 frame) is a 3/4t axle, and the PO just spread the rear springs apart enough to bolt to the axle. I was debating what to do to make it fit right (either swap the spring perches, or swap the spring hangers). I have the hangers off of a 79 K20 burb, and was just making sure I could use those on the K30 frame to achieve the correct width. 2" of lift is a nice added benefit. Thanks for the help (BadDog too...). /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Do some double-checking on the Burb hangers. I think they mount to a sloped part of the frame, not a straight part like on the pickup. Burb needs rear leg room, so the frame is dipped further back.

The spacing will be right - just make sure its gonna work before you start cutting! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

11. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Some of these answers are right and some not. Unfortunately, I'm at lunch right now and getting ready to go back to work. I will reply and detail the differences tonight when I'm off and home for good. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

12. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

from your previous posts I wouldn't trust your opinions on frame differences LOL

I think our definition of frame differs.
    you stated the 2x and 4x frames are completely different, to me they are the same other then a couple of crossmembers and spring hangers that are riveted and relatively easily changed.

13. thatK30guy

Just for that remark, I'm gonna go out and find a 2wd frame and take some pics of it. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

When you see the differences in the 2 and 4wd frames, its your opinion that nobody is gonna trust! /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

14. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

you forget that my truck has a 2wdr C30 frame under it?

15. thatK30guy

No, I did not forget that. I do know you had to do a lot of mods to make the 4wd brackets to fit. A lot of drilling for the brackets and hangers, etc.

16. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

don't worry about it now /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif