Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

K30 GCVW weight fee?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Ryan B., Feb 28, 2006.

1. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I went to register my k30 today and have to pay an additonal $257 so it has the 10,000-15,000 GCVW and i'll be all legit towing a fullsize on the trailer.
    Do all K30's have this additonal weight fee? Or is it just if you want to tow a heavy trailer you have to pay the extra so its registered for that?

So whats the deal if you have a 3/4 ton and you're towing a truck on a trailer that all adds up to over 10K lbs combinded weight?.. I suppose you can get a Fat Ticket if the Highway patrol wants to hassle you?

2. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

I had to pay more when I was driving my 1983 K-3500 GMC Crew Cab . I think that the 10,000 lbs. is the mark.

Tom

3. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

It is just another way for California to bleed you like a leach for money. I live in Nevada, and I just registered my 1985 K30 for $22 + $20 for the smog test. California SUCKS!

4. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Up here they call it "Licensed GVW" for commecrial vehicles (including pickups). You are supposed to increase it to include the weight of any trailer you are towing. The higher you go, to more you pay. In reality... I've never heard of it being enforced.

5. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

my truck is a 8400gvrw and I have it registered at 5500lbs... so was $75 to register....

the only down side is if I get pulled over and I have a load of mulch or anything and if im over that 5500lbs then I can get a ticket....

what is the gvrw on your title?

6. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

I bought a F350 flatbed when I lived in Sonoma County. I paid 380 bucks for the truck. Its GVW was 10K. When I tagged it the pricetag was 410 bucks!!! Seems that in cali, at that time, they had a cute little road tax based on the GVW of the vehicle. I think it was anything over 8K that got nailed.:mad: :mad: :mad:

7. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

if you put a shell on it (like I did mine) you can then have the registration changed ( by chp inspection) to a designation "PM" for permanently mounted camper... then the reg is cheap... otherwise we all get hit with the weight fee

and if the camper falls off... who is going to know unless the chippie is sharp and wants to screw with you.... you wont get caught

8. jays68yak

jays68yak 1/2 ton status

Yeah im waiting to get pulled over in my heavy half and get a ticket for my total weight of 13k. :eek1:

9. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

If I recall I had to pay some kinda fee when I bought my 2500HD Duramax..I am at 12000lbs max trailer weight...22000 combined weight.
    I'll have to see if I can dig it up if you want?
    So I don't think it is just the 1 tons...:confused:

10. onetonbb74

onetonbb74 1/2 ton status

my 3/4 ton has a gvwr of 6,800 and at sims metal leaving the scales with a empty trailer i was at 7,200. OOPS. Damn i hope i dont get a ticket for that sh**.

11. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I don't even care. I paid $388 for my reg. on my 3/4t Ram Cummins. I have no idea how much weight that covered, nor do I really care. I have four different trailers ranging from a 7K rated trailer to an 18K goose. I hook up to them and roll....what matters to me is that my equipment is SAFE and reliable, I can go around and around with a court until they give up if need be on a stupid ticket.

Let them bother me, all the trailers are registered in our companie's corporation name and half of them are registered in a different state. We've never had a problem with trailers but with two vehicles we have, In the past my dad and I have just told an officer "take it up with the corp, we are just employees." The cop usually says I'll look into it" but they never do.

I HATE California...I can't wait until our land gets gobbled up for even more development and I'm outa this condemed state. Registration is just one of the things that drives me nuts here, try registering a class 8 truck. Not to mention California insurance rates...

12. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

I once towed a trailer with a 78 caddy on it with no motor or trans and some misc scrap and it weighed in at 11k altogether .It was only a short way down the road and i took it way easy but I dont think ill do that again . :D

13. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

The last i knew about that law was that you could have the truck registered as a passenger vehicle and not pay any weigth fee but if you got caught with as little as a bag of groceries you could get a hefty ticket. The plate would come back non commercial when the cop runs the plate so he would know immediately. If memory serves me right you were a cop and probably already know this. Not sure how many cops even care about it but i've had 2 friends get busted for this years ago.

14. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Hey RB,

My '64 C60 Moving Van tipped the scales at just over 10K LBS and cost me just over $600 to register the first time.

The 10,000Lb limit is what triggers the "bonus" fees. My truck was spec'ed at 9800 Lbs, but the DMV made the PO weigh it and it came in at like 10,100.

BAH!

15. WhiteBurb

WhiteBurb 1/2 ton status

Yet another reason I left CA and never looked back. I pay about $30 for 2 years here.

16. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

only chippie will get a snit about this... deputies wouldnt know or care... but you are correct... carry cargo and theyll be all over you...
    Ill know firsthand after I convert my dually to a flatbed and the camper goes bye bye.... then Ill have to see if I can talk my way out of a cite if chppier stops me.. used to be a badge helped... ot anymore..they cite their grandmothers...literally

17. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Ben Dover!...

Here in MA,any vehicle over 10,000lbs. GVW is required to also have a D.O.T. inspection,not your average "inspection sticker"..they will fail any truck with ANY visible leaks,and they must PULL wheels off and inspect brakes,etc--an very ANAL inspection,and costly!

One friend of mine who bought a ramp truck with a 10,500 lb rating, got a rude awakening when he was pulled over while hauling a junker to the scrapyard days after he bought it....

He was fined for driving unregistered and uninsured,because the plates he transferred off his 3/4 ton pickup didn't cover the weight restriction(old truck was 8600 gvw,he told the DMV the new truck was "the same thing":rolleyes: )...he also got cited for driving without a licence..here,a 10,000 gvw vehicle also requires a special licence,AND you must pass a D.O.T.PHYSICAL to get it!..:doah:

I'm not sure how much it costs now,but my brother paid over 700 bucks to get his E-350 cube van he converted to a beavertail ramp truck properly insured ,and registered,so he could carry other vehicles legally,and his weighed 9800 gvw..

I thought about buying it from him a few years ago--I have a friend with a repair shop who's customers pay up to 100 bucks to have a dead car or truck towed in to be serviced,and I could get lots of tows!..and haul junkers to the crusher..but the expenses discouraged me from doing it..that,and the D.O.T. and state cops pull over a lot of those trucks on the way to the scrapyard,and almost always find something wrong they can cite you for..not worth it to me..a car trailer is harder to use,but MUCH cheaper,and NO special licences,physicals,etc..:crazy:

18. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Two more months...and I'm outta here. :wink1:

19. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Ha I got ya beat I only got 31 days:D . Course I gotta come back and get the wife, daughter and all of my HHG:doah: .

Ira

20. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Lucky guy, I'll be headed for an Idaho ranch in 5-10 years. Our ranch here in Cali will fall to development in the next few years. It'll be time to cash out and head for a new ranch.