Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

K30 ID

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by txfireman110, May 27, 2004.

1. txfireman110

txfireman110 1/2 ton status

How can I tell if my K30 was military or civilian, and is there any difference??

It has a Gov-loc I believe.
    Thanks

2. GMC

GMC 1/2 ton status

I think the CUCV's had detroits in them and they also have a different electricial system in them.

3. SS66

SS66 1/2 ton status

Yeah I 'think' they were 24v?

4. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

The true CUCV trucks will have a US Govt property tag in the door jam. My crew cab was an Air force truck and aside from the RPO codes and faded paint leaving old sticker shadows you can't tell. Also non-CUCV military trucks did not follow the "standard" drivetrain or vehicle set up we're used to seeing.

Describe the truck you're looking at, please.

5. txfireman110

txfireman110 1/2 ton status

The truck had a Diesel originally, I believe due to the size of the radiator, but other than that I don't know. It had a 454/TH400/Np205 when I got it.

It does have two battery trays though /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif.
    I was just wondering because of how clean it is, it's hard to believe any body but the military would care THAT much.
    [​IMG]

6. wfo163

wfo163 1/2 ton status

going by that pic I would have to say civilan. The drivetrain is not military with the 454 and np 205. My k30 came with the big diesel radiator and also hydro boost brakes, it also came with the 454 from the factory. In your pic it has tailgate lights, the wrong rear bumper, front fender badging, and not a noticeable spot of OD Green. however you do seem to have a grillgaurd of some type that might be military, but then the mirrors are not of the type our cucv's have. My guess is that you have a civilian K30, just a guess though. Oh and cucv's are never in "clean" condition, the military is not that anal.

7. nvrenuf

I would run a Carfax report on it, that will tell for sure. It will list the gov't as the original owner, mine does. Watch here and Pirate, occaisionally you'll see people post about a free Carfax promotion going on.

As fas as equipment, I agree that the items listed by WFO163 are not CUCV options BUT those very same items were on my Air Force crew cab.

Also, if it was originally a diesel I think the fuel gauge would say "diesel only". /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

8. nvrenuf

If you can find the RPO code sticker LOOK HERE to decypher everything. This will tell you EVERYTHING about the truck.

9. dieselponyexpress

dieselponyexpress 1/2 ton status

Some other things:

- CUCV pickups were delivered without rain gutters /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
    - mil K30s are equipped with a detroit locker in the rear, very few (no M1008 I think) with an additional gov lock in the front
    - inside the cab you won't find any extras like chrome, clock, oil pressure gauge (just idiot lights), AC
    - CUCV have two alternators, one above the steering pump, the other one where you normally would look for AC

You mentioned two batt trays. Are they both located on the passenger side? That's how the CUCV were equipped.
    Most civilian 6.2 however, do have 2 batteries in parallel, mounted on both sides of the rad.

Taking all these things together, I would say either it's civilian or someone had spent a lot of money and energy to have it look VERY civilian /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

IMHO a civilian K30 ist at least as good as a CUCV. Best thing of the civies is the NP205 /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

Poor thing is, that you won't find a civilian K30 6.2 here in Germany. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Greetings. Walter

10. ratzila

ratzila 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Some other things:

- mil K30s are equipped with a detroit locker in the rear, very few (no M1008 I think) with an additional gov lock in the front

The dana 60 front I got from a 83 cucv had a trac-loc up front.I don't think there is a gov lock made for a dana 60.

11. dieselponyexpress

[ QUOTE ]
    The dana 60 front I got from a 83 cucv had a trac-loc up front.I don't think there is a gov lock made for a dana 60.

[/ QUOTE ]

David, you're right. I went wrong with this one. Kind of mixed up the different lockers. Thanks for correcting me.

Greetings.Walter

12. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

one of the CUCV's (i forget which) had a NP205 because the military wanted a PTO provision. this model also had the trak-lok dana 60, iirc.

13. dieselponyexpress

[ QUOTE ]
    one of the CUCV's (i forget which) had a NP205 because the military wanted a PTO provision. this model also had the trak-lok dana 60, iirc.

[/ QUOTE ]

The M1028A1 & A2 (with communication/equipment shelter) do have the NP205 (and trac-loc up front). Very rare although.

Walter