Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

k30 info needed...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tmanofcali, Nov 25, 2002.

1. tmanofcali

tmanofcali 1/2 ton status

hey all,

im looking for some info on k30's. does anyone know of any websites with info on them? something like the spec page on ck5 would be perfect. did all the k30's come with d60's and 14b's? did they all have 454's? any special things i should look for when looking at one? if anyone has any info i would appreciate it. TIA.

later, todd

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Who needs a spec page when you've got thatk30guy?
    Don't worry, he'll speak up pretty soon.

3. tmanofcali

yeah thats what i was thinking also, but i figured i would let other try to play the game too.....lol.

also, if its a crew cab does that change any of the components?

by the way where is the crew cab version of this? /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

later, todd

4. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

yeah Wes will chime in any time now....

He's got about 30 Dana 60's hiding in teh one hill he talks about in the whole state!

HEHE...

Wes.....

5. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

K30's are about as diverse as K10's, they could have come with any number of engine, tranny and t-case combos based on how it was ordered or what year model it is.

While the vast majority did have 14 bolts rear axles, if the truck is a dually it would have a D70HD (unless it was a cab-chassis which could be either axle depending on how it was ordered). If I'm not mistaken all crew cabs built from 80 to 91 should have had a 205 t-case.

I think an easier approach to this might be to know if you had a particular truck or combo of parts that you are looking for (or at).

6. tmanofcali

ok, heres the deal!!!

a friend of mine knows where theres a k30 crew cab for sale. he beleives its a 83. thats about all he knows right now. he is getting the phone number for me tonight, so i will find out more tomarrow. it is a single tire rear (not dually).

the main components im curious about is the axles and the motor. whats the chances that this thing is a 454/400/205/d60/14bff for $3000?.....lol.

ill try to keep you all informed on this find. hopefully my friend knows what he was talking about. if so that baby will take up about 21-22 feet of my 70 foot driveway.......lol.
    if i get this it will be about 14" lift with 44's. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif SWEET!!!!

later, todd

7. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I'M HERE, BOYS AND GIRLS!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Now what exactly are your questions? Ask me anything...I feel like playing Jeopardy right now!! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    did all the k30's come with d60's and 14b's? did they all have 454's?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yes, all K30's come with the D60 front, but the rear axle can be either the 14FF in SRW and DRW, plus the D70 in the dually rear.
    Not all had 454's. Probably about 65% had them. The other percentage had 350's, 6.2L's, inline 6's (yep!), and older ones had 400's.
    454's and 6.2L's were the most popular engines for these trucks.

What else do you need to know? Come on, throw me something! /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

8. tmanofcali

ok........if it is an 83 like my friend belives it is, what is the most common setup as far as engine, tranny, t-case?

he knows it is a single rear wheel crew cab, so that makes it a 14bff. what was GM thinking when they put a 6cyl. in a k30's? whats the most likely gears for it to be? 4.10's?

my friend said the body is in pretty decent shape, so what do you think the truck would be worth?

thats all for now wes.......answer away!!!!

later, todd

9. thatK30guy

If the '83 is gas, and an automatic, it will have the 454 or 350, with me leaning towards the 454 more than the 350. Tranny will be the 400 with a 205 t-case. Gear ratio should be 4.10 on the higher average.

GM made these trucks available with I-6's for those who felt like they didn't need the power and gas robbing BBC's. The ratio of the axles with the I-6 motors were normally 4.56 gears. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

For an '83 and pretty decent shape, and if everything ran good with no major mechanical problems, I would say on average, $3000 for it. This is for a bone stock K30. If you start to look at the Silverado trim, expect the price to go up some more, say around up to $1000 more, but not over. Get up to newer years, the price will definitely go up.

10. doctor4x4

doctor4x4 1/2 ton status

Hey Wess
    I gotta jump in on this as well as I am not near your collection but i do own 3 of them so i got a small wager for ya i say its a 4 speed with a 205 and my wagger is shipping on that lonley little ground hawg you got hidding in your back yard ;-) what you think ???

11. thatK30guy

Well, since I replied above that if it had an automatic.../forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif
    Anybody would know/assume that if it were manual, it would have the 465. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I still haven't gotten the tire to UPS to get the weight and shipping quote yet. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

12. doctor4x4

doctor4x4 1/2 ton status

no worry my freind
    just havving a little fun hey mabe keep it there till feb 2nd to see if it sees its shadow :-) i am so poor right now any way the wait is good for me i bought a 1972 just had to have it. but i have to sell 1 of my rigs to keep it

13. tmanofcali

ok, i finally saw it today. it is a 1980 GMC k30. the emblem says its a 35. is that GMC's version of the k30? or does it signafiy something different?

it has a d60/14b/350/465/205. it has a 1997 350 in it. runs ok as far as i could tell. interior isnt great, but everything is there. has tilt wheel and a/c also. the body isnt bad, just dirty.

he is asking $3000 for it, but said he will take $2000.
    does anyone see any reason why this wouldnt be worth it?
    i dont know how much d60's are in everyone elses neck of the woods, but here they run $1000-$1500, so i cant see the bad in this deal. can anyone else? TIA!!!

later, todd

14. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

35 is just GMC's way of labeling trucks, they used 15, 25, 35 and Chevy used 10, 20, 30.

The only thing that would be different about that truck is that the original inner axles on the D60 will neck down in the middle 3/4 of the shaft but the ends are 1.5" with 35 splines at the carrier. The neat part (if they're still there) is that the 80 model should have originally had Spicer locking hubs, they're a little finicky to work but real strong.

Don't forget to check the frame behind the steering box for cracks, it's easy to fix but great for bargaining leverage. Also check the engine crossmember right under the fuel pump, this is also prone to cracking.

15. thatK30guy

Yep, that's a GMC.

The drivetrain combo sounds good, too. Nothing wrong with a 350 or 465. I would jump on this truck if the owner will take the $2000 price. That's pretty good and cheap especially if everything is running and good. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. tmanofcali

ok, i think im going to buy the k35....so....now the good questions!!!

im thinking about going with 44's on it. what size lift would you guys suggest in order to clear? i will problably get some bushwacker fender flares for it also, so that will help some. are the lifts for the k35 the same as the k25's?

anyone have any pics of any crew cabs lifted?

the setup that i was thinking is maybe a 14" lift with 44's and maybe replace the 465 with a 400. disks in the rear. possibly a 89-91 front end swap. paint it all white with black rock crawler rims and black accesories.

any comments or pics are greatly appreciated. thanks.

later, todd

17. 1 FN HI K5

1 FN HI K5 1/2 ton status

44's did i hear you say 44's so you want to run with the big boy's? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif LOL 14 inch lift come on lets go higher you know you want it higher than mine LOL. Later <font color="red">1 FN HI K5 </font color>
    PS if you do the ford gets 44's

18. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

the only lift close to 14 inch would be superlift's 12 inch unless you go with custom spring packs, the one ton should have 56 inch rear springs, not the 52's which are more common on the 1/2 and 3/4 ton.

to get 14 inches, in the front go with the 12 inch springs, 1 inch zero-rate and 1 inch shackle, in the rear the tallest springs are 8 inchers from superlift or skyjacker, again unless you go custom, do these, with a shackle flip, and 2 inch block and there you will have 14 inches

also, if you are going to do bushwacker cut outs, you may not need this much lift, especially if you are combining with a body lift

but should look good /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    good luck and have some pics of this /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

19. thatK30guy

Sounds good with the 44" plan. But...../forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

The 465 tranny does not allow long enough of a front driveshaft to operate at a satisfactory angle for these trucks when they are lifted higher. These 465/205 setups use the shortest front driveshafts of ALL GM trucks, regardless of the tranny/t-case combo. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Like you were saying, about swapping the 400 in place of the 465, that would be a wise decision, especially for this amount of lift. The only other option if you wanted to retain the 465/205 would be to employ High Angle driveshafts and their 1350 CV joints. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

20. thatK30guy

Yep, in order to use the 8" Superlift rear springs on a K30, the shackle hangers need to be relocated 4" forward of their mounting holes.
    And yes, I would recommend the ORD shackle flip for this extra lift so the 4" block would be eliminated.
    Keep in mind when ordering the shackle flip that you need to tell ORD that it will fit a K30 instead of a K5, 10, 20. The flip brackets for the K30 will be the correct narrow ones. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif