Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

K30 Lift Question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Polaris, May 11, 2003.

1. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

So my hubby has a 1983 K30 that he bought with a 4" lift. It has blocks in the rear. He wants 6" of lift and no blocks or body lift. So does anyone know who makes a 56" spring for a 6" lift? It doesn't seem real common /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif. Or any other ideas to achieve that amount of lift, and keep it so the rig can tow a camper /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif. Oh *and* wheel like a champ. Thanks!

2. Rusty68

Rusty68 1/2 ton status

well, how about a add a leaf in the rear with a shackle flip? That will get you about 6 inches of lift with the factory springs and no blocks. For the front you can use some of those zero rates and a longer shackle. Just my opinion...

3. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

What companies have you looked at so far? I know someone must. I've got 4" lift 56" long rear springs that came from Rough Country, and I'm pretty sure they offer the 56" springs in a 6" lift too. I know not too many people like the ride of Rough Country, but honestly, I don't think the back is too stiff (it's also probably a good idea to have the stiffer springs with the towing, hauling, and mud pits the K30 sees)

Rusty68 - towing with a shackle flip isn't generally recommended.

4. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

Before I forget - we're going to be at McCaslin again for Memorial Day weekend if you plan on going /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif.

I do see that Rough Country offers a 56" spring with 6" lift but it is not listed for a 1 ton application. What is up with that /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif. I like my RC lift. Here's my Blazer on Thunder Mountain on the Pipeline last weekend:
    http://community.webshots.com/photo/71983103/71988009XNLoDq
    I don't think that is too bad for the sway bar being hooked up anyway. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif. I guess we will have to see if 56 is 56, and why they don't list a 1 ton application.

Thanks!

5. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Memorial Day weekend, eh? Hmmm, I'll have to look into that - thanks for the heads up. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

BDS and Skyjacker both make 56" rear springs in 6" lift. I just bought 6" front and rear springs from Skyjacker for an '88 V30 project I'm building. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

7. k30gambi

k30gambi 1/2 ton status

Rough Country's front and rear springs will work on a 1-ton but none of the hardware will work and also the rear shocks won't work. I bought a 4in r/c lift with 56in rear springs, hauled 8 roughly 600lb calves with a gooseneck and the truck was just bottomed out and it sits about an inch lower in the back now. I really like the way the truck rides but i dont think there is a compromise between hauling alot and a good unloaded ride. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

8. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

I don't think anybody offers an over-the-counter set of rear lift springs rated for a 1 ton. Several companies make 56" rear springs but all of them I've seen are rated for 1/2 & 3/4 tons. You can have them made by places like National Spring but those (if I'm not mistaken) are made to order.

I just lifted my crew cab 6" with a Rough Country kit. I didn't want rear blocks but I gave in and used 4" blocks with a 2" add-a-leaf in order to retain the OE springs (and towing capacity). I'd like some beefy custom springs but I don't tow enough to justify the cost.

K30gambi is correct, the rear shocks didn't fit and I had to order a seperate ($ additional $)hardware kit for the D60.

9. Rusty68

Rusty68 1/2 ton status

why wouldnt the shackle flip be a good idea as far as towing is concerned? It doesnt seem there would be any more leverage on the shackle then if it was in the upright position. Just wondering, as I have one in back of my 1/2 ton shorty. While I never get to carried away with trailering I do pull a 4 horse trailer around alot. I have never really noticed any draw backs as of yet. But if there is somthing I should be concered about please pass it on!

10. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

I don't think there are any real issues about using a shackle flip while towing but I'm not real educated on them (yet). I plan on using one on the Blazer I'm building, I didn't have any reason for not doing it on my pick up. I guess I got so caught up in the spring issue I overlooked the obvious. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

11. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

To tell you the truth, I'm not really sure why you're not supposed to tow with them. All I do know is that the manufacturers and distributors don't recommend it - maybe just something to cover their butts. Maybe Steve from Offroad Design will post up and answer - if not you may want to PM him or post the question in the Offroad Design forum for him to see.