Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

K30 resale

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BigOrange90Jimmy, Jan 29, 2003.

1. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I am thinking of buying a late 80's model crew cab K30 SRW complete with a 454, 400, and 205. It used to be a diesel, so that means it has the hydroboost setup on it. It also has the chrome 205 shifter. I was thinking of buying it for the D60, then swapping a D44 or 10b back in it's place and re-selling it as a K20. He's asking $3800 for it right now, but that's without me hearing it run and driving it and the driver's window being left down for a long time. I'm thinking I can talk him down to $3000. What do you think the resale on it would be if I yanked the D60 and put something back in it's place, given I tell people that the 60 is no longer in the truck?

2. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

honestly, if you are selling to an average joe, then you could sell for the same price. But to people like me and you... like 500 dollars..I'll give you a deal though... 1000 and you ship it to me. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Lots of people do that, but not many of them tell potential buyers about the Dana 60 being replaced.
    The problem with your idea is: what happens if you get stuck with the truck and no buyer? Sure eventually someone will buy it, but maybe not for what you want. That d60 could end up costing you more than you bargained for and it may tie up 3000 bones for who knows how long.
    -- Mike

4. BigOrange90Jimmy

It's just an idea right now...I'm thinking I'd probably get stuck with it as well. It's been sitting where it is for god knows how long. Thanks for your input!

5. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

Almost a year ago, I bought a '77 1-ton Crew Cab for $2000. It had a TH400 and 203, and also had hydro-boost. I kept the Dana 60 and 454 that was in it.

I traded it to a friend of mine. We put a 350 in it and a 10 bolt front. When he got hard up for money, we advertised it as a 3/4 ton and he got $4100 for it the first weekend the ad came out.

I wish I'd have re-sold the thing myself and have made $2100 on top of getting a Dana 60 and 454 for next to nothing.

I would think you could make out well, depending on how demand for Crew cabs is in your area.

6. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

you could always pull the rest of the parts and sell them individually or keep them as backups...im probably gonna part out my crewcab i just got and so far it looks like im gonna make back all my money invested...but im keeping the big block and the 60

Later

7. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    It used to be a diesel, so that means it has the hydroboost setup on it.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Gas or diesel, the K30's all come with hydroboost setups. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

ok dumb newbie question /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif, whats a hydo-boost /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

9. 87GMCJimmy

87GMCJimmy 1/2 ton status

Instead of vacuum boosted brakes they are Hydrauliclly(sp)boosted using the power steering pump.

Mike

10. BigOrange90Jimmy

you get today's award for "Stuff I Never Knew" /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. BigOrange90Jimmy

Well here's the deal. I'd be buying it with whatever money I get from selling my 90 K5. I'd part it out, but I don't think I'd as much money back for it to even be worth it. I mean the truck is clean. I haven't found a bit of rust on it yet. I just don't see where it'd be worth my money to try it, seeing as how I don't have a job and I need the money from the sale of my truck to fund my next project.

12. bigbluek20

bigbluek20 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Gas or diesel, the K30's all come with hydroboost setups

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, Wes, huh? I certainly don't want to call you wrong because I think you are probably the Nation's leading authority on K30's /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif However, the 82 K30 crew cab I parted (read scavenged for the front D60 ) didn't have hydro... it had a vacuum booster. Maybe because it ran a 350 SBC?

Personally, I have only seen hydro in diesels. But, I haven't seen as many K30's as you have probably owned /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

Not trying to stir anything up but ALL of the C/K 30's that I have ever seen have been hydroboost equiped whether gas SB or BB or diesel, while the C/K 20 Crew Cabs were vacum booster style .
    Was there anything else different on that 1982 K-30 ?

14. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Wow. That's a first! Unless someone else swapped the vacuum boost in place of the hydro...... /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Won't matter if the K/V30 had a 350, it will still have hydro boost. The reason for the hydro is the large size of the disc's and drum's on these trucks and the GVWR that they are rated for.

All K/V30's will have the hydro set up regardless of the engine size, unless its a rare one like what you saw/parted out with. When you get to the diesel equipped trucks, they will have the hydro boost, too.

I still find it hard to believe that a K30 came with a vacuum setup. Still think someone else swapped it in so they could use the hydro setup. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

Yes on the hydraboost. Even my '77 K30(crewcab) with 350 had it. Most likely if it is a true K30 someone swapped out a leaking hydraboost for a vacuum booster, have seen this before.

16. bigbluek20

bigbluek20 1/2 ton status

I suppose it could have been swapped out to vacuum for a repair, although there wasn't a second return on the pump.

Asthetically, the truck was a train wreck (good mechanically), so it is a good chance that a leaky one was swapped.

Doubt it was scavenged from it, though... who would take a hydro boost and leave a D60 front /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif ?

17. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    Somebody who already has a D60...