Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

k30 swap to k5

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by chrishoz, May 8, 2001.

1. chrishoz

chrishoz Registered Member

monday I bought a k30(6.2, 400t, 205, 60, 14bolt) i started looking at the diesel motor and i saw things on a chevy that ive never seen before! Such as, whats up with the power brakes... they look hydrolic. If so, will the steering box be a direct bolt in for my k5, and the master cylinder? Any advice on a total drive train swap to my blazer is appreciated. Are my two yellow top batteries big enough to turn over that blazer motor?Does anybody know where to find a wiring diagram becuase some of my harnesses melted.

2. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

The brakes are assisted by the power steering pump.
    Not sure about the total swap. Things just need to line up.
    I have 2 1000 cold cranking amp batteries. I have never ran out of juice. I left my lights on all day and at night went out and it fired right up.
    Wiring diagrams...hrm...still working on this myself. Chiltons and Haynes, in my opinoin, don't have squat on the Diesel wiring. Get the Haynes "Diesel Manual" for mechanical, but wiring diagrams. I was told that GM service manuals have it all. I have found them at:

http://SK-15.coloradok5.com
    Roads? Where we're going, we don't need any roads!

3. NewK5Guy

NewK5Guy 1/2 ton status

If you convert the motor, you'll have to take the ps pump and hydro boost acutator for the brakes. You may have to move the master cylinder over,too. If you really want the 6.2 swap, plan on moveing everything related to the brakes. After the master cylinder, it's normal brake stuff. Since a diesel engine has no internal vacuum, brake power assist is provided by the ps pump. It is not a normal pump. The Bendix hydro boost system is quite powerful. The steering box should be the same, it's the ps pump that's different.
    Two yellow tops will be plenty. I have 2 mismatched batteries now and they are fine. The 24 volt system(running the batteries in series) is mainly for the starter. It has to run against the 6.2's 21.5:1 compression ratio.

4. k20diesel

k20diesel Registered Member

Uh... didn't notice in the original post that this was a military CUCV. The civilian 6.2L's are all 12 volt systems. The batteries are in parrallel. Only the military used the 24V. If it does in fact use the 24V system, scrap it and use a 12V alt., starter and harness.

5. NewK5Guy

NewK5Guy 1/2 ton status

Oops. Anyway, either way, the dual battery setup in the diesels was mainly for starter power. I know some of the early ones had single batteries, but most I've come across had 2.