Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

K30 turning radius sucks!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ajbirken, Sep 10, 2006.

1. ajbirken

ajbirken Registered Member

I have an 84 M1008 CUCV with a 4" lift, a 3" raised steering block with the stock steering arm and 36's otherwise stock.

I have a decent turning radius when turning left and it is a LOT worse (I can barely park in a normal space if I have to turn right). I have taken the steering stops out completely so they are not the problem.

I have several other trucks (J10, J20, W250) with the exact same wheelbase of 131" and they kill this thing in turning including the dodge which has a similar style steering (ie draglink to driverside).

Will crossover fix this? or are there any other adjustments I can make (re-index the pitman arm?)?

Thanks in advance,

adam

2. JpEater

JpEater 1/2 ton status

sounds to me like your steering may not be centered.

3. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

Don't feel bad. My 88 F250 HD 4X4 cant do a 360 on a 50' wide street!!!!!:doah:

4. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

this is common after a lift, you need to adjust the steering to center it, or you could switch over to cross over and it would be even better

5. ajbirken

Thanks for the replies.

I have never re-centered the steering.

Is it something like this?

1. Do I put the wheels straight
    2. disconnect the draglink from the steering arm
    3. "Center" the steering wheel ie halfway in between lock to lock
    4. re-connect the draglink

any other input is appreciated

6. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

First thing I would do is this: Center the wheels, then count turns to full lock left. Then back to center, count turns to full lock right. That will tell you how much if any, you are off. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I believe you have to pull the pit man arm to correct this.

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

huh?...

I thought the pitman arm was "keyed" with the bolt that passes thru it and clamps it to the splined shaft,so it would not be possible to move the pitman arm on the shaft from its "normal" position?...(on a 4x4 stock steering box anyway)..:confused:

I'd say it would require removing the "rag" joint at the steering colum,and then center the box,re-connect the rag joint..only thing is,the thru bolt there is "keyed" there too,it only lets it bolt up one way!..

8. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

get the tires pointing straight ,disconnect the draglink , put steering wheel in "center" between lock to lock,lock steering wheel , adjust tie rod to meet the pitman arm, reconnect draglink, Done :D

9. Jishory

Jishory 1/2 ton status

the rag joint can only go on 2 ways 180 degrees off

you need to adjust your drag link so your steering wheel is centered when you tires are pointed strait

10. fatbob

fatbob 1/2 ton status

Don't disconnect anything. Just get the wheels straight, leave the key in the ignition so the steering wheel can turn, and loosen the clamps on the draglink. Then you can twist the adjusting sleeve untill the wheel is centered.

Now I believe the J10 and J20 are jeep trucks that come stock with crossover steering, not sure on the W250 [dodge maybe?] Did they also have 36" tires? That can affect turning radius too. That may explain why they turn better.

11. ajbirken

Good ideas.

The Jeep pickups have X-over stock. The Dodge has a similar setup to the K30. Two of them run 33's the other is stock. FWIW the K30 had this problems before the 36's (like 32's) so I am pretty sure it's a draglink/centering issue.

Thanks

12. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

fatbob is correct. you need to adjust the draglink. once you get it turning evenly both ways the only other way to gain steering ability is to get a set of rims that puts the centerline of your tire in line with your balljoints. the farther you push your tires out the larger your turning radius becomes. right now your problem is in the draglink.

13. ajbirken

Just wanted to give a quick update.

I followed fatbob's advice and now I can finally turn right! I did not disconnect a thing. Just loosened the clamps and turned the adjusting sleeve and now it's money!

thanks,