Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

K30 vs K20 vs K10 vs K5

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Leadfoot, Jun 26, 2001.

1. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Were all the frames for these 73 - 87ish all the same. I know the Blazers had a different frame in the rear than the pickups, but the front was identical or pretty close. Were all the rears the same for every year blazer? Were the rears the same for every year truck? I know the K30 used different rear spring hangers and longer springs, but were the frames the same as the K20 and K10 (excluding duallies)?

If you didn't built it yourself, how can you call it yours.......?

2. morphed86k10

morphed86k10 1/2 ton status

I believe the k10's and k20's use the same frames, but I think the k30 uses a different frame, a bit narrower and made of thicker rails. The higher gvw trucks (some 3/4 tons and of course 1 tons) are the trucks with the 56'' rear springs, but I don't know if thier frames were modified in any way or if it was just the spring hangers that were moved compared to the 1/2 and light 3/4 tons.

3. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    Someone told me they are all the same. Correct me if they are wrong.
    Someone told me they all are different. Correct me if they are wrong.

4. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

The 1-ton frames are narrower in the rear (i.e. the springs are closer together, meaning the spring mounts on a 1-ton axle are closer together than a 3/4 or 1/2 ton rear axle). I would guess the 1-ton frames were thicker, but I'm not sure. I also believe that most, if not all of the mounts, from the cab forward are the same, meaning items such as the front spring mounts, steering box, cab mounts, engine mounts, etc. since all of these parts seem interchangeable between different models.

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Some 1/2 tons used 56" rear springs too. My truck doesn't have them but my friend's "heavy half" Big 10 has them, and so do some other trucks even if they're not designated as HD 1/2 tons.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

6. Leadfoot

Are the spring perches narrower on the 1 ton because of the frame or is it due to the different spring hangers? I don't know, I'm just asking. Also for those that have true 1 tons. Do you have an indentation on the frame near where the factory metal shock boot would be (only in the rear)? I know on the 1/2 and 3/4 tons the frame is indented where the rear shocks mount.
    Also, just to settle curiousity, would someone with a 1 ton take a couple of measurements on the width of the rear frame rail (outside edge to outside edge) near the t-case, over the spring perches/axle, and just forward of the bumper mounting plates. I will measure my 3/4 ton, my buddy's 1/2 ton, and his father's K5 to compare. Thanks.

7. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I can't say for sure, but I believe the 1-ton frame rails at the rear are actually narrower. If the frames were the same width, I don't think it would be possible to pull the springs in close enough to the frame the make the difference that there is...meaning that the springs are mounted on the outside edge of the frame and would hit the frame rails. The spring hangers, just from a quick walk by, look the same as the 3/4 or 1/2 tons.

8. Kennedy

Kennedy Registered Member

I'm told that the frame widths are the same (1/2, 3/4, 1-ton), and that it is just the spring hangers that move the springs closer together on the 1-ton as compared to 1/2-ton.

David
    1982 6.2L K-5
    2000 Silverado 2500

9. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

If you took a 1/2 and 1 ton frame, and stripped them down to bare, they would look almost identical.

The 1 ton frame on the rear part is the same width as the 1/2 and 3/4 tons. The spring hangers are the difference. They are closer inboard causing the 'narrow' rear perches.

The 1 ton frames are in a class of their own. They are thicker, taller, wider, heavier, and of course, stronger.

The list goes on and on about the frame variations. I would need more time to explain all the differences. [​IMG]

<font color=red>I m so we Todd did.
    I m sofa king we Todd did.</font color=red>

10. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Thanks for correcting Executioner. He is always right or wrong.

Dave

BEER: It's not just for breakfast anymore.

11. thatK30guy

ROTFLMAO!!! [​IMG]

Yeah, I have Executioner figured out now!
    He's not quite that bad a fellow! Sure he seems a bit 'fruity' sometimes, but I think he means more good than harm. At least you cant blame a guy for trying! [​IMG]

12. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Wes, the 1-ton frame is the same in the rear except for the hangers...then why couldn'y you bolt on some aftermarket shackles like ORD and use a 3/4 ton 14bolt on a 1-ton frame? I realize that would be work for nothing, but it seems like I have heard the frame is actually different...
    -- Mike

13. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

How much thicker/heavier is the 1 ton frame?

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

14. Leadfoot

Do I sense a contradiction here Wes [​IMG][​IMG].
    You say the 1/2 and 1 tons stripped, looked the same and are the same WIDTH, but in the next paragraph you say the 1 tons are taller, stronger, WIDER, etc. Wassup wit dat?[​IMG]
    Also do the 1 ton frames have the shock boot indentation like the 1/2 and 3/4 tons? Sorry for all the questions, but I'm a curious SOB.

15. thatK30guy

I will reply later today, since I'm at home on lunch right now. This will take some time to explain. [​IMG]

16. Leadfoot

I'm still curious.

Yeah, yeah, I know, I'm a royal pain in the a$$. But hey if you don't ask questions, you never learn.

There is no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people that ask questions........Gee I wonder what that makes me?[​IMG][​IMG]