Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

K30 worthiness

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by morphed86k10, Apr 1, 2002.

1. morphed86k10

morphed86k10 1/2 ton status

Have a possible opportunity to pick up a good k30 with a new 454 and TH400/205, its an 84. I thought about swapping these components over to my current truck, as well as the D60, but it would be easier to just go with the K30, a whole lot less swapping. The only thing I'm concerned with is weight. I read somewhere that K30 frames weigh like 1000 pounds more than a 1/2 or 3/4 ton frame. Since my truck is basically a daily driver/trail/sand dune runner, it seems that the weight difference would be a big drawback, both on wheeling ability and gas mileage...which would make it better to swap the strong drivetrain parts onto my "lighter" frame...any thoughts on this? And I know 454 "gas mileage" might sound funny to some, but I think a strong running 454 in a lighter truck should be capable of 8-10 MPG, which is all right with me.

Current truck: 86 long bed half ton with 3/4 ton axles, 3.73 gears and 33's. In the next few months, it will be re-geared to 4.56, lifted a few more inches and 37's put on it, 305 will be replaced with a GM 330HO if I don't get the big-block K30.

Edit: Thanks for the replys! I must have read that K30's are about 1000 pounds heavier total, not just the frame.

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Frame is heavier but no 1000lb heavier. The big killer is the length. Long is not trail friendly...good for mud but not trails.

3. morphed86k10

morphed86k10 1/2 ton status

length will be an issue on tight trails, but it isn't really a consideration because both trucks are long beds, and I need(want) the big bed. Besides, with the length it makes broad slides nice and controllable /forums/images/icons/wink.gif. There is a lot of desert to blast through here.

4. kickinasphalt383

kickinasphalt383 1/2 ton status

i would say go with the k30... i think it would depend more on which truck you would like more as a daily driver (based primarily on looks and condition)??? i don't think your gonna notice frame weigh differences with all the changes your making.

5. tomnits

tomnits Registered Member

The K30 will wiegh in about more, but the frame is not the only thing that adds weight. The heavier items on the K30 will be the Dana60 (probably biggest weight gain due to this-guessing 200lbs more than D44/10bolt?), slightly heavier frame, slightly heavier t/c,TH400 heavier than TH350, heavier springs, and extra weight of he big block. I think the whole K30 would only weigh in at 500lbs more. I looked into this years ago also. It's all the components just adding alittle weight each that makes the truck heavier, not just the frame.

Anyways, I have had my 1985 454 K30, 4.11's with 38.5 tires for 12 years. I get 8 mpg and 11 highway (if I keep it at 2300 rpm, anything over that and it consumes more fuel). I use it hard, but not silly abuse. Only thing I've broken is front hubs. Mostly deep snow and deep mud, no crawling stuff. I have pulled out many other broken 4x4's back to the trailhead. It's great to have 1 ton running gear because it is so stout. It's not unbreakable, but if you use some common sense and are reasonable, you'll rarely suffer big damage.

Oh yeah, Detroit in back, open front. I've never broken anything in the front except for hubs. It would be nice to have an ARB up front, but too costly in Canadian dollars....and the advantage is no broken axle ujts. I'm sure if it was locked up front something would break, but not too often. I do think it would be worth having an ARB or OX up front in the D60 if one could afford it.

Get the K30, you won't regret it. Have you ever heard anyone regret getting 1 ton running gear? I haven't. People just say they wish they would have don it earlier.
    Tom

6. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Get the K30. In your case there is NO significant cost, only benefits... Weight is NOT an issue, the strength gains are well worth the slight increase in weight. If you want to go shorter in the future (like SWB length) then that is easily accomplished without major effort.

7. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

The other guys who said to get the K30 hit the nail on the head. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

I have owned just about every GM truck available and find the K30 to be the strongest of the bunch, depending on the motor. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

The frame does not add 1000 lbs. to the truck. It's like the other guys said, the D60, frame, rear brake drums, t-case, all contribute to adding the weight.
    Matter of fact, a K30 weighs right at/around 1000 lbs. MORE than a K10 long bed. I have had my K30's on the COOP scales to weigh it for the fun of it and they do come in around 1000 lbs. more than a K10 I once owned.

So, to make your decision easier for you, use the K30, and be done with it! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

8. BigBadCad

BigBadCad 1/2 ton status

My 1ton Crewcab weighed in at a healthy 6500lbs when I crossed the scales at the dump. My eyes nearly popped out of their sockets...of course I also have dual saddle tanks and a thirsty engine under the hood. I'm still wondering how accurate that scale is though...

9. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

My 3/4 ton Jimmy with a soft top weighed in at 5700 lbs...so I'd guess the scale you used was pretty accurate.

Rene

10. kickinasphalt383

kickinasphalt383 1/2 ton status

my k30 M1008 w/diesel weighs 6000#

for reference a 4x4 dodge 2500 ext cab long bed SRW weighs 7200#