Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

K3500 454 35" tires Pulling a Jimmy

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by kyser_soze, Mar 8, 2005.

1. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

What gears would I need to be able to do this correctly? Right now the truck still has the 4.10's. The truck has the 454 4L80e overdrive and is a 1997 K3500.

2. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

I think you should be fine with the 4.10's. I am lifting my 97, putting on 35's, and I have a set of 4.10's to swap, which would basically put the RPM's back to what they are now with 265's. I think I will try the 3.73's first though.

3. dhcomp

dhcomp 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Just a side comment...make sure your 35's are rated for the weight.

4. fordcummins1

fordcummins1 1/2 ton status

Those gears should work fine, and dont forget a trans temp guage.

5. miniwally

miniwally 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I had/have a 95 Ford with a 460 and auto. It has 4.10 gears and did good towing. Not a speed demon up hills but held it's own on the flat. One thing that I never could get it to do though was pass a damn gas station. LOL

I often wondered what it would tow like with 4.56 gears. I'm not saying that it needed them but sometimes I wondered if they would help with the gas motor to get a few more rpm to help pull the bigger tires and such. I also have a doubler in it and that is some decent drag added in to the equation.

If I had the chance to get a set of gears for the rear cheap enough I would try regearing the rear only and giving it a towing tryout. Maybe good maybe not :confused:

6. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

I just bought the truck and havent pulled the Jimmy yet. I am just getting everything ready before I test her out. The truck came with the heavy duty trailering package, power steering cooler, oil cooler and automatic transmission cooler with it, but I do not know the history of the transmission, I do not know if it has had regular service done to the tranny, it has 188,000 miles, should I leave things be with it (seems to run fine right now), or should I service it?

7. Nicks 72

Nicks 72 Registered Member

I would service the fluids because these are releativly inexpensive and it gives you a known baseline for when they were changed and when they will be needed to be changed. Do the rear diff because this often gets neglected and the trans w/filter and engine oil.Do the dexcool because this is only good for 5 years and this gets neglected and the front diff and transfer case. Other good things are the fuel filter and tune up stuff,especially the wires as the big blocks tend to cook them quick,serpintine belt,thermostat, etc.

8. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Since it has an overdrive 4.56 or better yet 4.88 gears would be ideal with 35" tires. With 4.10's your going to get poor mileage and less power out of your truck than you should.

It would be easier to swap to 32-33" tires and keep the 4.10 gears though if you want a cheaper/easier solution.