Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

K3500 frame question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Mikee, Sep 24, 2002.

1. Mikee

Mikee 1/2 ton status

The frame in my '85 K3500 dump truck rusted out and cracked right behind the cab. I could only find a partial frame for sale so this means I will have to cut and weld it in front of the cab to repair the problem. I have never welded a frame like this, so I was hoping for some input if anyone has ever attempted it. I know it is a lot of work, but this truck is my winter plowing livelyhood. I have too much invested to scrap it. If anyone has ever tried this, or knows where I can get a good frame in New England it would be a really big help. The truck is an '85 K3500 4x4, regular cab, 8ft. body, dually.

2. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

you may find it easier to find c30, or whatever the 2wdr designation is, frames to replace yours if you want to go that far into this.
    major work but nothing real tricky

3. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

I know of a K30 frame for sale in Lancaster Ohio.
    It is a southern frame, sandblasted and painted.
    Email Dave @ dhr@netpluscom.com

4. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

I 've never actually had to cut/weld a frame but I have been looking into this for a new project Blazer that I'm getting. Everybody has been telling me that the best thing to do when cutting it is to put a step in the cut (starting at the top, a vertical cut down half way then a horizontal cut maybe 8" to 12" long and then a last vertical cut to the bottom of the frame). This step will cause the to pieces of frame to overlap where they puzzle piece together and spread the load over a larger area than a simple vertical slice.

I was also worried about getting everything lined up again before welding but someone pointed out that the body mounts and cross members would force it to line up pretty close leaving only minor measuring and adjustments to get it straight.

I don't know if this is correct but I heard this same scenerio from several people so there must be something to it. Good luck!

5. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

I like a straight diagonal cut.
    I have seen both those methods as well as vertical and plated.
    yet to see any of them fail and most are in fairly severe duty on heavy trucks

6. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

here is how I spliced my frame:
    [​IMG]

7. Mikee

Mikee 1/2 ton status

Thanks for all the information on the topic guys. I spoke with some junkyards, and though they wanted a $1000 bucks for a frame, they agreed I would be just as well off cutting and welding. I'll most likely go with double L shaped cut because it seems easiest. I'll probably bolt and weld plates on the back side and weld the seam on the front side. Either way I will let you know how I make out. Once again, thanks.

8. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

wow
    I paid $300cdn for my c30 frame and every crossmember and spring hanger I needed to convert it to 4x4
    and they did they work of removing the extra stuff

did you find a K30 frame and that is the $1000?
    I saw one on another board a few months ago blasted and painted for $800