Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

K5 + 6.2L diesel + TH350 + 4.10 gears = what size tire?

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by AJMBLAZER, Apr 12, 2002.

1. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

Looking at a K5 with a 6.2L, TH350, and 4.10 gears. Currently it has 38.5x11R16.5 Boggers on it. It's the guy's offroad toy, but it'll be my daily driver. Not as much serious mud around here as those Boggers warrant, so I'm thinking about stepping down to some regular Swampers. What would be a good size tire to keep the diesel happy with 4.10's and the TH350? It'll be my main mode of transportation in the non winter (read: road salt) months.

2. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

It mostly depends on what type of driving you will be doing. I currently have 35's on mine with 4.10 gears, I do have the 700r4 but always keep it in "D" in town and on back roads, only shifting into OD when cruising on flat ground. Running in "D" up to around 65 mph on the freeway makes the engine sing pretty good and so I wouldn't recommend it for extended periods of times.....I don't know if or how detrimental it is to the engine but if anything it does get a little noisy.

The trouble with going to bigger tires is losing overall power on take off.

3. René

René 1/2 ton status

I am also this opinion. 35” for pleasant driving, 33” for a better acceleration.

4. AJMBLAZER

Hmmmmmm..................how bad do you think it would be with 36x12.5 Swampers?

Its got a 6" lift with trimmed fenders on it right now, and I know it's kinda petty, but it'd look silly with little tires on it./forums/images/icons/tongue.gif/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif Still, $$$ and not wanting to do any damage to the diesel are important.

5. calcide

calcide 1/2 ton status

My Blazer has 4.10 gears and a 700R4. I've run 33s, 37s, and 31s on it. The 37s ran just fine, but right now my truck is a daily driver and there is no point in me wearing down $1100 worth of tires to go to work and back. I put a set of 31s on it for street use (looks funny now) and they are too small to use without the overdrive unless you never drive on the highway. Even with the OD, the engine is revved pretty good at 65mph. When these 31s wear out (not soon enough) I will go back to 33s for street duty. The smaller tires make it easier to stoplight drag race and 33s still give it decent highway performance. Also, most tire manufacturers make a 33" tire, and 35s (my other choice for street use) are more expensive.

6. AJMBLAZER

I'm thinking either some 35x12.5R16.5 General Grabber MT's on the 16.5x9.75's it comes with or if the cash is there, some 315/75R16 MT's on 16x8 steelies.

36" Swampers would be nice, but it sounds like it is just not geared for them, and the $$$ saved on 35's would be better spent elsewhere right now./forums/images/icons/cool.gif

Thanks guys.

7. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

Do you really think you will feel a difference between 35s and 36s? I got 35s now with 410 gears and I do a lot of highway driving. I think something bigger than 35s would be better to keep the rpm's down on the highway. Also the noise level and engine wear would be down due to the engine not revving as high.

8. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

If you were comparing a true 35" to a true 36" of similiar construction and weight I doubt you could really tell the difference. Now if you went with a relatively light all-terrain that was on the short side for a 35" tire and compared it to something like a heavy 36" TSL-SX Swamper that is probably closer to a true 36" tall than there probably would be a difference.

All in all, I think you could get by with 35" tires and 4.10 gears. It's not the optimal setup if you drove on the freeway all of the time but will get you by.

9. AJMBLAZER

6.2L, so are you saying shorter or taller than 35's?/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

I'm having a blonde moment, please use small words......../forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

10. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

Since you dont have overdrive I wouldnt go below 35s.

11. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I definitely would not go smaller than 35's to keep the engine rpm down on the highway.

12. calcide

calcide 1/2 ton status

I had no problems with my 33s on the interstate. Immediately after I bought the truck I made an 800 mile trip with my 33 inch tires to get it home. Smaller tires will let the truck accelerate stronger and with my 33s I was able to cruise in overdrive more often.

Also, unless you have reinforced your frame at the steering box, bigger tires are asking for a crack in the frame. Mine was cracked when I got it, and it only had 33s on it.