Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

K5 6 lug to 8 lug conversion

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by **DONOTDELETE**, Oct 12, 2002.

I want to convert my front end from 6 lug to 8 lug. Would like to know if it would be better to get all the parts new or get the parts from a salvage yard, or use both new and used? If both please tell me what parts to get used and what parts to get new. I have read the article in the technical about the 6 to 8 lug conversion. It only talks about using new part, and nothing about what parts i should use new or used.
    Thank you for your time and help.

1. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Im doing the same thing, I'm going used unless I can't find good rotors. Pretty much you need the spindles, the rotor the outer hub and the caliper support/backing plate.

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Danny, since you have a '79 truck, you will only need to look for the backing plates at a salvage yard. You need any plates from '73 on up to '87 on the trucks, and up to '91 on the 3/4 ton Subs.

You can reuse your spindles IF...you go to a parts store and get new bearing hubs and rotor assemblies from them. Make sure you ask for the 8 lug bearing hubs/rotors in the same year as your truck. Expect to spend about $75 for one set.

You can reuse your current calipers, so leave them alone.

Backing plates should not run you more than $50. With $150 for the bearing hubs and rotors, you should not have to spend more than $200 for the conversion. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

3. Cool thanks again.