Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

K5 AC

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by rts, Jul 28, 2001.

1. rts

rts Registered Member

I have a 89 K5 blazer. The AC just stopped blowing cold. Should I have it switched off of freon, or just re-charge it? How much should it cost to make the change?

2. Haulgas

Haulgas 1/2 ton status

Where Are You?

IT'S NOT JUST A J**P THING AND I DO UNDERSTAND

3. rts

rts Registered Member

Dallas.

4. Neil

Neil 1/2 ton status

Ask someone who does AC work to try to recharge it with Freeze12 refrigerant. I put it in my 89 C1500 and it does great!...NH K5

Neil H.. Alabama.. '78 K5 400ci 4x4 AT,AC,PW Cheyenne. '74 C10 3spd/floor 250ci 4x2

5. Bowtied

Bowtied Registered Member

From what I was told by a mechanic, the r12 cools way better than the new stuff (134 I think).

I just did mine tonight with the r12 and it feels goooood!

Hope that helps,
    Bowtied

6. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I have an 89 Jimmy and live in McKinney......just did the air thing since my compressor went tits up.....my only leak was at the Schrader valve on the Accumulator (silver can with hoses near the firewall).....that part was about $10, and cleared up my leak (very common leak point)...I had the system charged with Freeze 12 and dye, so I ran it for a couple weeks to see if there were any more leaks.....my compressor was making a lot of noise, but cooling just fine....since there were no more leaks, I went ahead and changed out the compressor for a New one...at that time I also replaced the Freeze 12 with Freon....total cost for New Delco compressor, Freon and labor was $680....the Freon accounted for $182 of the total.....the Freeze 12 was working OK, but I learned in here that it would eat rubber parts or something and since I plan to own this truck forever, I opted to go with all new parts (usually winds up being cheaper in the long run).....I now have Very cold air....recommendation from a good friend (and a little price shopping) landed me at Jay's Auto Supply on Parker in Plano....972-424-4596.....sorta long story, but he treated me right (my friend used to work there)......the cost for finding the leak, replacing the sending unit, and charging with Freeze 12 was about $80, but like I said, my leak was just the sending unit....you may want to give him a shout and see what he can do for you.....I feel that he treated me straight......hope your problem is as simple as mine was....(minus the compressor).....it gets purty dang warm here come late July and August.......JD

Stuck?...Hell no..I still got some gas left..

7. rts

rts Registered Member

Thanks for the info.

-Ryan