Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

K5 Almost back in commission*UPDATED*

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by stallion85, Jan 18, 2004.

1. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

How is everyone doing,

I haven't posted in a while, well since I came back from over seas /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif I have been busy with the wife and my son doing family type stuff. Well if you don't already know my K5 went sour while I was deployed and I am just about gonna have it running tomorrow. I have been home for 2 months and have yet to drive my K5 /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif What went wrong? Well i had a cracked piston to start and jacked up heads. I decided at this point that the engine that was supposed to be rebuilt when I bought the thing was probably a lie /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

I took it with stride and used it as a learning experience. I paid to have the heads rebuilt and the piston replaced for $360 total. I have always wanted a cam so I decided to go with a crane "truckpower". This should help low end torque considerably. I got a new timing chain "GM", new hoses, vacuum lines, nuts, bolts, just about everything that looked worn while it was torn apart.I am putting my edelbrock intake and carberator back in complimented with a K&N air filter. Hopefully after tomorrow this engine will be more powerful than it everwas. I just dropped $800 into it and that is just in 2 months. In the year and a half I have ownes it.....probably $3,000 /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

I know that may not be a lot to you but we are a single income family. Luckily the wife thinks guy's with K5's are hot /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Just needed to vent a little excitement, wish me luck tomorrow with getting it started /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

2. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

Well,

I got up this morning at 0700 and worked on the truck till noon. I ran into a few snags before being able to start her up. After everything was double checked and tightened, I started the K5 up and she breathed new life within minutes. She runs like a champ with the new heads and cam.

The sound of all the power in the engine makes me drool /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Also the pinging noise I had since i owned the truck is now gone...sweet...it only cost $800 to get rid of that noise /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Now I can sleep at night.

Next on my list is to change the heater core and replace a few lights. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

3. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

WooHoo!!!.....HappyDaze.... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif