Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

K5 and Sub. width including wheel offsets?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jdemaris, Nov 6, 2006.

1. jdemaris

jdemaris Registered Member

I've got a couple of K5 projects going - both to build small 4WD diesel-powered motorhomes. My question is about the various widths I am coming across - with older K5s, newer K5s, Suburbans etc. Much is caused by wheels with different offsets - but some axles differ also.
    For example - I have an 83 diesel 4WD K5 - and I want to beef up it weight-carrying capacity to install a Chalet pop-up camper. I plan on installing front and rear axles into it from a 89 GMC 3/4 Suburban (14 bolt SF rear).
    The original K5 axles and wheels - the 10 bolt front axle - when width is measure at the mouning faces for the 15" wheels - is 67 7/16" wide. And the stock wheels offset out 3 1/2" more on each side. So - the outside assembled track width is 73 7/16" wide.
    The Suburban 10 bolt front-axle - is 69 1/2" wide at the mounting faces and the original 16" wheels have a 3" offeset to the outside. So it has an assembled outside track width of 75 1/2".
    Also, the Suburban 14 bolt SF axle - assembled width is 73 1/2" wide - thus 2" narrower thant the front.
    So, it seems when the 3/4 ton axles are installed into the K5, width will be around 2" wider?
    And, looking at some of my older K5s - ca. 1978 - they have narrower track-widths - and I have not yet done any measuring. I can see though that the steel wheels on them have much less outside offset as do my newer K5s.
    So - my question is - does anyone have tables or specs. for OEM track widths over the years?

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

There are oddball widths like for Van's and Dually (C & C and with bed) however the majority of the different width breaks down like this:

1/2 ton:

Rear 65" WMS to WMS
    Front 67.5" WMS to WMS

3/4 ton and One ton SRW:

Rear 67"
    Front 69.5"

The one oddball I can remember offhand is the Van width 14 bolt FF which is 70" WMS to WMS.

Rene