Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

k5 axle pitch Q?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by K5HIGH, Dec 10, 2004.

1. K5HIGH

K5HIGH 1/2 ton status

my 88 k5 has 4in lift, driveshaft yolk is about 1/2 off the spline. someone said i need the driveshaft lengthened or new one? howw dangerous is this? how much is too much off? Is therre a kit for lowering the tranny and transfer case?thnks

2. la_blazer82

la_blazer82 1/2 ton status

from what I've been told just recently on another thread, as I just installed a ORD flip and 1" zero rate, you can drop the t-case 1" using the factory spacers in between the head of the bolt and frame, pull the bolt out, and put the spacer between the cross member and the frame, and it will space it down.

3. K5HIGH

K5HIGH 1/2 ton status

If I Drop The T-case What About The Tranny?

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Obviously when you lower the case , the case/trans/engine all move some since they are bolted together , I haven't and wouln't do it , but if you do and the distributor has firewall space and the fan doesn't hit the shroud , and the linkages get adjusted , go for it :k5: :k5:

5. K5HIGH

K5HIGH 1/2 ton status

Probably Better To Lengthen Drvshft? What Do Most People Do? Also I Chk Out Some Of Your Pics Nice Truck. How Do The Sway Bar Disconects Work? My Truck Is All Over The Road. Aside From The Steering Gear Bad I Was Told That Disconecting The Sway Bar Would Help In Rideor Using The Disconects.what Other Mods Did You Do? Trying To Get Ideas And Info.thnks

6. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Well , I went the CV rear shaft route , cost more but worth it as I haven't had to move anything , and it is made to the right working length .

Disconnects work fine , my other truck isn't getting a sway bar , but that will be light and not driven much on the street . Another mod that I did up front that toghtened things up was the steering box brace , good piece . In 2002 when still at my apartment I had alll my rod ends done . Much better steering , I turn wheel , wheels turn ..........well on trail without crossover it may not turn cossed up LOL . :k5: :k5:

7. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

I have had my transfer case dropped before and all was good (2 1/2") lift. Then I swapped axles and thought I didn't need the transfer case dropped anymore so I raised it. Started getting some vibes in the tranny hump, so I dropped it again. This last wheelin trip I was on, I drug that thing over all sorts of stuff. It will be going back up tomorrow. Now with a 4" lift if you do not have any vibration issues I would say leave it. I was under the impression a 4" llift is still safe with a stock driveshaft. Do not drop your x fer case unless it is just a temporary fix.

Your sway bar being disconnect won't help your rig ride better. You will roll a lot more without one. I say just ditch it and don't worry about it. I bought the disconnects and then no longer need them with cross over steering setup. I don't notice too much of a difference, then again it's been off for a while. Take it off and drive it for a day. If it doesn't feel too drastic for you, ditch it. Your front will articulate a lot better without it.

8. K5HIGH

K5HIGH 1/2 ton status

I Will Try Taking The Bar Off And Tryit. How Do The Disconects Work? Does The Sway Bar Stay Connected But It Allows For More Movement In The Front Suspension? Not Sure Also Do You Buy The Cv Shaft? What Does It Consist Of?