Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

K5 barn doors

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by oldassjeep, Jan 27, 2005.

1. oldassjeep

oldassjeep Registered Member

Hello all,

I have been lurking here awhile and found some good info. Disreguard my name, no long have the jeep-51 Willys M38, but anyway I did a search and didn't get many answers but here it is. I am in the planning stages of building a barn door set up for the K5. I believe that a moderator Grim-Reaper has done such a modification. I would like any and all info you would be willing to lend in doing this. I thought of using 1 inch square tubing for the frame and using suburban hinges or simular type. I have yet to figure out what to use as a latch system. I also was thinking of making it 60/40 so when I build the bumper mounted tire carrier I can open the driver's side w/o swinging the spare out.

Any suggestions?

2. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

I am planning on undertaking a similar project in the future. I will use a barn door burb and cut the body in two places at the right measurements to fit the k5 blazer frame:waytogo:

3. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

I think I just saw a k5 in truckin mag done this way... The issue references "square body chevies" on the cover...look for that.. it briefly tells what he did in the body of the article..shows before and after.... show truck stuff... super nice and sano

cam

4. oldassjeep

Actually I am talking pretty low tech here. I am not trying to follow body lines or anything, just a set of flat barn door. I have a crude jpg drawing of what I think the frame should look like but I can not post attachments.

5. k5junky

k5junky Newbie

i don't have any good ideas but i think it is a great idea. i have thought of this before because i have power glass in the rear and it is slow. i hunt in mine and it would be very easy just to open a rear door like the surburban. any ideas you get i would like to hear about. well good luck and if i can dream on it and come up with anything i'll let you know. good luck.

6. virgilh

virgilh 1/2 ton status

hinges set up

look at the 99 and newer astrovan set up? its the way im puting the upper one piece door and lower 2 piece doors on my 65 suburban. :D

7. santana

santana 1/2 ton status

Actually they did a burb cab on a K5 body but it wasn't a barn door set up.

8. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

this is a mod i was going to do to my k5 befor that stupid ford pulled out in front of me:mad::mad::mad::mad:

anyways, you will run into a few problems one is the cap, you will have to trim away the section the window rolls into to make way for the top of the door.

the other is hindes, the bottom would be fine if you welded in some 3/8th plate in side the post of the blazer for the hinge to bolt to, but the top hinge will not be so easy, the hinge will land in the cap area. So you will have to fab a spot foor it to be lowered to, and extend it out so the two are inline.

the next problem is latching the doors closed, the best bet would be to trim off the trim at the bottom and weld in a section from a sub, that will latch the bottom but the top you would have to fab a peice that could be bolted on that would hold the two latches.

now if you ever want to take the top off it will look messed up.

my idea was to cut the doors in half and cap them off, the weld nuts to the underside of the lower halves, so you could bolt/unbolt the doors and have a barn door tailgate with no top.

(but to do this you will have to move the handle down and fab new iner rods and latchs)

let us know how it gose or if you going for it

9. oldassjeep

my plan was to make I guess best to call them "half doors. The hinges would be basically mounted to the inside of the tailgate opening w/ reinforcements inside the side posts. A basic say 1" frame with an X reienforcements and gussetts in the corners. I thought of using a spring loaded pin in the "60" side to hold to the blazer and a locking latch from grainger to hold the "40" side.

I need to become a full fledged member so I can post a crude drawing I did and some latch pictures.

I plan on using a soft top on the K5. I also thought that if I kept the hardtop I could have a sheet of plexiglass/lexan cut to the glass diminsions and make a frame/crossmember to hold the lexan in place, w/o blocking the doors from opening.

All still in the brainstorming faze now.

10. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

11. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

12. oldassjeep

Yes that is the truck I was refering to. I saw it awhile back and found another tech article about the soft top but had not seen that one, thanks. That is simular to what I an talking about. I had no plans on building a gas can rack but like the idea of one. I did not intend on the doors bearing any weight. I was planning on a bumper mounted spare carrier.

It would be cool to see a write up or alittle insight from the owner of the truck. Maybe "if I had to do it again I would do this..." kind of thing.

13. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Haven't seen Grim in a long time, anyone know why? I must have missed it.

14. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

uh last time i checked he sold his rig to ....... i forget who it was. on here he already had two and he needed another one.

15. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I got it.................................I got it...............three's the charm :D :D :D

[​IMG]

16. oldassjeep

you now own this truck? is it possible to email me pics off list of the rear door construction. email at oldassjeep@ya hoo.com

remove the space between yahoo keeps the spam bots out. Thanks

Last edited: Feb 2, 2005
  17. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

For $25.00 U.S. currency!

Hee, hee!
    :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: No problem.