Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

K5 Blazer Super LugWrench/SpindleNut Tool (Sound good)?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by guido666, Nov 10, 2005.

1. guido666

guido666 1/2 ton status

I was thinking of getting a 4-way lug wrench and cutting the 3 heads off I don't use. Then in their place welding the front spindle nut socket, the rear (14-bolt) spindle nut socket, and a 1/2" drive ratchet extension (so I can use it to turn stuborn bolt/nuts with a socket!). Does this sound cool? Anyone seen it done? Anybody think of any drawbacks?

You could have all your tools in one convenient package! :D

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

sounds genius, go for it. Only bad thing is what happens if you get a tow rig or a different 4x4 that uses different sized lug nuts... then you'd end up carrying around two lug wrenches. Or if you are out wheeling with friends and some guy with a toyota or jeep forgot his. I think if I was you, I'd just cut off the smallest of the 4 (prolly fits lame little cars anyway) and then just add a 1/2" socket extention to that side. I don't know about your hub sockets, but all mine use 1/2" anyway. Don't see much of a reason to have them permenently attached to the lug wrench...

j

3. guido666

guido666 1/2 ton status

Good point, I believe they are 1/2". My problem is they don't fit in my socket set (which is Craftsman and has its own custom case), so they are just always rolling around in my truck box. It was as much a place to put them as a useful tool.

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

oh, ok. I have a couple of giant ammo cans bolted to the bed of my K5. Works great for holding loose junk. I usually toss a towel or rag or something in there to keep rattling to a minimum. Works well. Anyway, having an extra 1/2" driver on a lug wrench would be handy... might steal that idea from ya. :)

j

5. guido666

guido666 1/2 ton status

I'll take a picture of the prototype (a 1"x1" square tube about 2' long with an extension welded to it) when I get home. I made it because of my other post, when I tried to get the 14bFF spindle nut off the socket would come off because of uneven force, with this I can push and pull evenly.

http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155042

6. guido666

guido666 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]

Works well.

7. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Holy resize batman.

Cool idea, but I would have used a 4 or 6" extension

8. guido666

guido666 1/2 ton status

Sorry about the size, when I viewed it on my computer it must have auto-resized. I didn't put an extension on it for two reasons. 1.) The adapter was cheaper and I'm flat broke. 2.) I have plenty of extensions I can put on it later to make it longer, I could never make it shorter again though.

9. guido666

guido666 1/2 ton status

Done!

10. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

True.