Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

K5 Blazer vs. Big Bronco

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 | Suburban | Truck' started by ThinkinBoutOne, Oct 25, 2001.

1. ThinkinBoutOne

ThinkinBoutOne Newbie

Okay, this may not be the most objective forum for this question, but here goes...

First of all, I'm a lifelong Bronco guy...I've had 78 and 80 Big Broncos, a 76 Early Bronco and a 90 Bronco II (yeah, I know...Ha!). I currently own the 76 and 78, but due to a recent change in my marital status and the loss of the backup car, I'm in need of a more reliable daily driver. Yes, I could keep one of the Broncos for play and get a rice burner to drive to work, but I want 1 truck to do it all...daily driver, light to moderate 'wheeling, with the potential to upgrade to more aggressive 'wheeling in the future.

The comparison I'm currently making is between the 89-91 K5 Blazer and a late-model (say 92-96) Bronco. The main reason the Blazer tempts the hell out of me is the combo of factory TBI and a solid front axle. You've got to go back to 79 to get a solid-axle Bronco, and anything with EFI is going to have a TTB front axle. I also know Chevy's are famous for being easy to upgrade with the interchangeability of parts (axles, engines, etc.) between a wide range of model years and platforms. Either one will require swapping to upgrade to more aggressive 'wheeling, but it seems the Blazer would be easier and cheaper in this regard.

Sooo...thoughts? I fully expect some flaming/ribbing due to my Ford-Blue blood, but some (somewhat) objective opinions would be good, too ;)

BTW...great website!

2. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

I say EFI one of your Broncos.You could do that for less than the cost of another vehicle.Its not that hard or expensive.

A balanced diet is a beer in both hands.<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/beaterwhang>community.webshots.com/user/beaterwhang</a>

3. Either keep the '76 or get a K5. I am partial to the 1st gen Bronco's, as far as a Furd is concerned.

God has a hard on for Marines, because we keep Heaven chock full of fresh souls!

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I personally love my Jimmy. My Dad has 3 F*rds at home, but I love my GM. The only F*rds I like are 70's pickups, 66-77 Bronco's, and the 90's+ dual cabs. Chevy's are the cheapest things to work on in this world except for VW's. My Jimmy has never left me anyplace. It always gets me home. Parts interchangablitiy, the ease of finding parts, and the lower prices of parts are the big advantages to Chevy. Personally I think you would be better off with a TBI straight axle Chev over an older Ford. My best buddy has a 76 F-250 and has nothing but problems with it. I think the Chevy would be more reliable as a daily driver, offroading rig.

Here's a little personal experience. One morning (before I could drive) my Dad was taking me to school. He went to start his 97 F-150. Nothing. It was dead. He went to his 90 F-150, nothing, dead too. Then he went over to the 85 Jimmy. It fired right up and we were on our way.

My Chevy isn't broken, its just out of gas.

5. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

... The main reason the Blazer tempts the hell out of me is the combo of factory TBI and a solid front axle. ... I also know Chevy's are famous for being easy to upgrade with the interchangeability of parts (axles, engines, etc.) between a wide range of model years and platforms. Either one will require swapping to upgrade to more aggressive 'wheeling, but it seems the Blazer would be easier and cheaper in this regard. ...

<hr></blockquote>

I also like the old Furds, especially the old broncos, but you pretty much sumed it up all by yourself.

ARQ.

offroad baja!!!
    72 4x4 CST Blazer
    71 4x4 CST Blazer
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/ArqDennis>My Pics</a>

6. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

my buddy has a 79' Bronc and he works on it non stop when he is home (he is a college dude). But it is one helluva truck. Very beastly. I love that thing. I like the first Gen Broncos too. You can make any truck reliable if you want to.

Anyhow, being a K5 fan, I'd say, 89' to 91' are the bomb. I think 89' would be best b/c no anti-lock brakes.....but that's just me [​IMG]
    Mine is a daily driver as well. Click on the link to look at the pics if you like.
    Boss

Pic of my truck Before N' After
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/BeforeNAfter>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/BeforeNAfter</a>

7. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Any Bronco before 80 I have respect for. Well set up vehicles out of the box. Problem is parts are high $. Available but you will pay (I have owned Ford products and parts are usualy twice as expensive).
    Get the newest K5 you can find if your looking for FI. 87's were a little troublesome by 90 everything was right. The Tranny's in early 80's had problems but late 80's they had it right. Expect to replace the rear 10 bolt. They will give it up. Seems a lot of people are having trouble at the 10 year mark on the fuel pumps also so when you look try to find out when/if the pump was replaced.
    The split axle in the Ferds stink and all the extra parts = breakage. Also takes a lot to get them to flex and still can't achive the front travel you can get out of a K5 soilid axle truck no matter how much money you throw at it. The hot set up for the K5's is EZ ride front springs, Shackle flip in the rear and relocate the front shocks. that's good for 900's on a 25deg ramp. About $500 not including shocks. $1500 to get the front lifted on a after 79 Bronco.

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s>communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s</a>
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

8. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

if it ain't Chevy tuff...it just ain't enuff!
    So i say go to the K5...my brother's bronco doesn't do sh%t off road. *tires to act shocked* [​IMG]

-Zakk
    '77 K5 SB 400 TH350 NP203 p/t 6" Lift D60 14BFF 4.10's 36"Wrangler II's

[​IMG] CK5's MOAB 2002 OR BUST!! [​IMG]

9. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Between a later K5 and later Bronco, the Blazer wins hands down - Better motors out of the box, and a better tranny. I'm a big fan of TTB, so I look at it as an advantage to the Bronco. But all in all, the Blazer is slightly bigger, has a better powertrain, and really just looks better - the 92-96 Ford design just didn't look right on Broncos. The 8.8 is really a better rear than the 10 bolt, but still takes alot of tender love and money to get it up to task. 92-96 also had two other areas of concern - the E4OD trannies had computer problems well into 95, the 302's exhaust manifolds cracked if you looked at them wrong, and the seats, except in Lightnings blew dog. 92-96 Broncos also had that big accordion looking crush zone on the front frame horns that would flatten if you kicked the bumper hard enough.

Of the 5 toughest dogs in the neighborhood, my cat's ranked #3
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

10. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

you could do what my auto tech teacher in high school did and take the old straight axle bronco(in his case a 78) and throw a fuel injected chevy motor in it...sounds like you would get the best of both worlds...he also painted it john deere green and but bowtie emblems on it but you dont have to go that far...

Later

Have you driven OVER a Ford lately?

11. blazbrnc

blazbrnc 1/2 ton status

If your looking for cheap and easy, go with the K5. Interchangability is the key word here. You'll find anything you need for a Chevy in a junkyard cheap (except a d60). If you plan on doing any modifying to a Ford, you will either have to get real lucky or buy aftermarket $$$$. I built the K5 first and am building an EB as the money tree allows.
    If you want different, and capable, (no offense to the Chevy only people) keep the EB.

'79 K5, '79 Suburban, '76 Br**co, 77 K20
    '99 BB 4x4 Suburban to tow more junk home

12. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I was a Ford driver all my life.
    I'v owned both EB and fullsize Broncos.F-100s, F-150s, Mustangs Ect. When I bought my 89 K5 it was for similar reasons as you. I really wanted a GM TBI truck for the better gas milage they get over the fords and a SFA. I also had my 85 bronco to use off road and for hunting.And was going to use the K5 for daily driving, towing, vacations, and more road use. But found the Blazer was all I needed. It rode and handled a lot better on or off road and filled all my needs for a 4x4. So I sold my bronco about a year after I bought my K5 because I rarely ever drove it. I really dont miss it at all.
    I sure spend a lot less time under the hood. And it is cheaper to operate than most of my fords ever were.
    Try to find a 89-91 K5. I dont think you will be disapointed.

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Thunders-Blaze>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Thunders-Blaze</a>
    <font color=blue>NEVADA: Where the pavement ends, and the West begins.</font color=blue>

13. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I think the '78 and '79 Bronco's were some of the coolest looking rigs every built, once they have a lift and some bigger tires. But in 1980 I bought a brand new '79 F-150, which turned out to be the biggest pile-o-crap I've ever owned in my life. It looked great but spent way too much time at the dealership, getting warranty repairs. [​IMG] Sold the Ford and bought my first K5 in 81 or 82 and never looked back. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

14. ThinkinBoutOne

ThinkinBoutOne Newbie

Man, you guys make some great arguments...especially those of you with experience on both sides of the Ford/Chevy fence. I'm looking for a compromise truck, and the 89-91 K5 has A LOT to offer...and just to make it more tempting, I just printed out an ad for a 91 with 4-speed (my preference) and 81000 miles for $7200 OBO!

Thank you, and please keep the comments coming...this is great!

15. ArrowheadK5

ArrowheadK5 1/2 ton status

just curious, did you post on the Bronco website? What kind of things did they say?

Four wheel drive, four wheel expenses...

16. 88streetblaze

88streetblaze 1/2 ton status

take your time and you will find a 87-91 blazer/jimmy for less than $5000. I got my 88 for $4200

<font color=blue> If sancho knows what good for him, he best go run and hide. Cause daddy's got a new 45.</font color=blue>

17. Sparky

Sparky 1/2 ton status

San Antonio(summer) Texas A and M (school year)
    It sounds like you already made your own decision to me. Go with the Blazer!!! In reality you could FI one of your Broncos, but correct me if I'm wrong, you dont have overdrive in one of your old broncos. It would cost you at least 2 grand to swap to FI and an overdrive tranny. By that time you could easily sell your broncos and buy a K-5. In my honist opinion go with the Blazer.

Sparky

When all else fails... Check the blinker fluid.
    78 K-5

18. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

I am totally for K5s, but I almost bought a 79 bronco before I rolled my Jimmy. That oviously made up my mind to make the Jimmy a rockcrawler, so I bought a Suburban to tow it with. The axle set up (9" and dana 44) are a good start on axles. I would say inject the 78 and drive it. I also like the way the old broncos look (pre 78). The parts are more expensive for the broncos, but you already own the broncos. I would say inject both of them, drive the old bronco everyday, and make the 78 an allout offroad vehicle. You can pick up injection for them pretty cheap in a yard, especially if they have 302s. THe shop I work at, all the guys out back are ford freaks. You can build thse 5.0s or the 351Ws to put out alot of horsepower for pretty cheap. If you do decide to sell the broncos let me know I know a few people that wouldn't mind having them.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&35"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

19. muddysub

muddysub I Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

the broncos you are comparing have that stupid IFS/axle thing in the front. they are not as good as a real axle like K5s have, or your old broncos have. coming from a former f*rd fan who just woke up and realized that GMC is better (me), i'd get the K5.

donate to the "Build Scott's Suburban Foundation"
    scott,
    1989 GMC suburban 3/4t 4" lift soon to be rollin on 36" swampers, tbi350, th350, np241

20. MaxCrack

MaxCrack 1/2 ton status

Interchangeability of parts and a solid front axle...Oh wait...you already said that...Oh yeah, this web site!.

If you want a full size, what more do you need?

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
    <a target="_blank" href=http://photos.yahoo.com/dana60manual>http://photos.yahoo.com/dana60manual</a>