Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

K5 Buggy Winter Project, got some questions.

Discussion in 'Midwest Region' started by gzzgfw, Nov 19, 2003.

1. gzzgfw

gzzgfw 1/2 ton status

Alright, since it is getting cold and wet out, now is the time for the next project. It's basically a K5 buggy of sorts. Check it out at; http://www.geocities.com/ncifw/bigbirdpage_buggy.html

I broke down and got a D60, 14 bolt, TH400/203 for $700, was that a fair price for unabused stuff off of an old farm truck? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Where is the best & most economical place to get the Hi steer arms for the D60? I'm tired of bending tie rods.

Rear shackles, Dan and Brent, I saw your's, what are they and where did you get them? They both seemed to work well as long as the main leaf was intact. Just kidding...

Diff's- Welded, Spools or Mini Spools? = Cheap; it will never see the pavement? Don't have the cake for detroits!

I've got questions on Doublers and fuel injection but don't have the money or the parts so I'll save that for later.
    Let me know your opinions on these questions if you had this junk to put together this winter. Later, Mark

2. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

Page has exceeded daily limit /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    Go figure with the traffic CK5 makes.

And... AH... YEAH $700 is pretty sweet for a D60, let alone 60/14/400/203

As far as lockers... Me and shane are heading to Jons in Anderson Sunday for a lincon locker party... Shanes welding up Jon and mines 14bolt diffs for some cheap wheelin action this spring /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Wow, thats pretty wild looking /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

If you pull the 355 out of the purple truck what are you going to do with it /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

3. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Go ahead and weld the diff if you're not running it on pavement. Cheap and easy, if you can do it or know someone who can /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif And WHERE did you find all that stuff for $700????? Sign me up!/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Hey, got a way for us to get ahold of some of the video footage you shot on Saturday? I'd like to see my junk in action /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

4. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

you should skin that in K5 body panels - or half panels! It would be killer! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

One thing you might look out for, Late models are usually built from Mild Steel. Most builders use .083 wall 2x3 frame rail. This stuff is very thin and some of the mounts can rip loose. I would brace up all your suspension mounting points. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. jjlaughner

Hey Mark, How's the buggy coming? Man its cold!
    We've been working on/in the garage but still have yet to get the plow truck in and finished /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
    Sold all my parts to stay somewhat afloat on bills and such /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Anyhow, keep us updated /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

6. gzzgfw

gzzgfw 1/2 ton status

Hi Jeremiah,
    It has been cold but I have managed a little work on this buggy.
    -got the engine on a stand and looks like I just need a cam shaft. Lobe worn off on a 20k mi rebuild.
    -Fabbed up some buggy leafs or drooppy leafs for the rear with a shackle and some long 2wd springs. Yet to be installed.
    Started working on the dana 60 but the snow hit last week and I've been busy keeping our ski-doo, three wheeler and atv running. Besides it way more fun playing in the snow.

When this weather breaks back into the 30's and 40's I am really going to try to hit it hard for a few weeks during Feb and March before I get busy with my girls softball teams.

I'll have to get some of you Indiana K5 guys over for some food and truck talk soon, maybe even get greasy!!!

Later-Mark
    PS get that plow truck going, Iam sure you could make a few $$ with that.

7. jjlaughner

I ordered my slides for the snowmobile so I might have that thing going soon. The plow truck is going to be awhile still, the big stuff is done but I'm going to try to make the body water tight again since its going to be a trail rig. Plus all the seat stuff I need to fab up (order steel, 1.5" angle for seat rails). Dads pickup is up and going but I need to the driveway shovled and get it in to put the bolt on the starter. My silver truck needs an oil change and some tuning. then the plow truck will get dragged in the garage. Maybe a another week or two. We are on DSL now so I need to run some network wires to get all the machines online /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

Computers... starter bolt... oil change... snowmobile... then plow truck.... /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Just drop me a line if you want some help /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif