Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

k5 build up

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by rphenry250, Dec 20, 2002.

1. rphenry250

rphenry250 Registered Member

howdy, i got me a 1983 K5 and im gonna build it up and i thought i would see what everyone thinks about this. The rig is a daily driver, as i am in college and cant afford 2 vehicles. ok. the engine is gonna be a rebuilt 350 (it has a running 350 in it now, but it needs to be rebuilt) i already put in a SM465 and the NP205. i am thinkin about ORD doubler. i have 10bolts, and i think im gonna keep them, but put in ARB airlockers and 4.10 gears and then run 33 to 35 inch tires. the lift is gonna be 6" with 6" front springs and 2" rear springs with ORD 4" shackle flip. The shocks will be rancho 9000, because they are adjustable in cab. i wanna get a winch, but cant decide between warn and ramsey, and i also need new (strong) front and rear bumpers (stockers dont run too many trees over) as to protect the body.
    I just though i would post this and see what everyone thinks about this one. Any input is greatly appreciated

2. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

I'll be the first of many to say....CHUCK THE 10 BOLTS! If you ever (which most of us do) run 35's or larger, the 10's will end up in the trash can anyhow, may as well save the money and go AT LEAST 3/4 ton from the start. For the cost of regearing and ARB'ing 10 bolts, you can roll with a front D44 and rear 14B already geared at 4.11 and ARB the front. The only thing you will lose out is the selectable locker for the rear. Everything else sounds like you will be doing a fair amount of wheeling...save yourself the headache and money and don't fu*k with the 10b's.

3. rphenry250

rphenry250 Registered Member

ive heard that the 10 bolts are not good for anything over 35's,,, but what if i stick with 35's? I dont want to have 44" tires, b/c that makes the course too easy. If i stick with 35's,, are the 10 bolts adequate? or should i find something else? I read in the current (jan 2003) Four Wheeler about all the popular axles, and it said that the 10bolts weakness was the gov-lok locker. What is the (posters) take on this?? you know the deal, just weighing all the options before i go spend all that money

4. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    but what if i stick with 35's? I dont want to have 44" tires, b/c that makes the course too easy.

[/ QUOTE ]
    haven't wheeled much huh? Did you just read the latest rick pewe article or what?

If i stick with 35's,, are the 10 bolts adequate? or should i find something else?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Depends on how much hp, how much torque, overall gearing, type of wheeling done, how heavy your right foot is, driving style, ect. I've seen some people be fine with a 10 bolt and 38s although that's rare. Then again some people thrash a shaft every time out with 31's.

I read in the current (jan 2003) Four Wheeler . What is the (posters) take on this??

[/ QUOTE ]
    Quit reading four wheeler. They're a bunch of liberal pansies. Just buy it to look at the pretty pictures. Listen to this board, pirate4x4, 4x4wire, ect. That's the voice of the people, not a journalist.

That said, do whatever the heck you want. But if you dump a ton of money into half ton axles and do any wheeling at all, you'll be losing that money on the resale later when you bump up to 3/4 or 1 ton gear. Take it for what it's worth.

Bryan /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

5. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

Being reliable is a major goal for mine. I like to hit the back wood trails that don't see much use. So The mods I'd recomened would be: 3/4 Ton axles (cheaper then 1 Ton, but 1 Ton is better) and either a 4" or 6" suspension lift, and 33" to 36" tires. Now I don't know how you feel about trimming fenders, so I'll leave that one alone. That'll get ya out in the woods.

6. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

To spend $800 on an ARB to put it in a 10 bolt doesn't seem right. For that price you can get a 14 bolt with a detroit locker, with a little luck you can even find one that already has the gears you want, that it a very strong set-up. I have 10 bolts myself, in the beginning of the year i put a lock right in mine ($260) and it has worked great, cheap and easy. Later I will install a 14 bolt six lug semi floater in the back, weld it and move the lock right to the front axle. Cheap and strong enough for most people I would think. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

i am in college and cant afford 2 vehicles... i have 10bolts, and i think im gonna keep them, but put in ARB airlockers and 4.10 gears

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="green"> Hmmmm, oxymoron? I think so. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Figure that airlockers, new gears and installation is going to run you around $1800. For that kind of money you could buy a set of axles out of a Military CUCV that already have 4.56s and a Detroit in the rear. Take it from me, as I speak from experience. Do not waste money building up 1/2 ton junk. At least spend a few hundred on 3/4 ton gear to build up.

6" is waaay too much lift for 33s, and pushing it for 35s, IMHO. 33s will fit on a stock truck and 35s will fit on 4" of lift. Keep the CG low, no reason to go higher than neccessary unless you just want to look cool at the mall. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif Asweet setup for a DD truck would be the 1 ton junk, Detroit rear, ARB front, 37" MT/Rs on 4" of lift and cut fenders, or 6" of lift and some mild trimming on the fenders.</font color>