Welcome To CK5!
Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.
Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.
Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jacob_coulter, Nov 25, 2005.
delete thread thanks
On a tight budget I'd pick up a good used sbc and swap it in there. Shouldn't be hard to find and an engine swap is a pretty easy weekend job.
If you have decided selling the truck is inevitable you need to repair it first. 90% of buyers will shy a way from a vehicle with a blown motor and the other 10% who would consider it would only do so because its a screaming deal. You will lose your @$$ trying to sell it in non-running condition
Have to agree. An engine swap is not hard on older vehicles like that. The hardest thing about it is disconnecting the electrical stuff, cabling, and disconnecting the A/C. But for something like this, I'd just unbolt the ac compressor and carefully set it off to the side without disconnecting the hoses, and re-bolt it back in place after you have the new motor in. Just reuse the mounting brackets that are on the blown-up engine.
The part about it being a possible weekend job is not a joke either. One time dad had a vehicle that he needed the clutch swapped out on, and needed it done fast for as cheap as possible. Me, him and a good mechanic-friend managed to drop out the tranny and swap the clutch in one day, but we pulled an all-nighter at it because of a hydraulic clutch line issue that took forever to solve, and the vehicle HAD to be ready-to-roll the next morning, no matter what. I helped out on that project.
GM sells crate motors for $1300.00. They come with a 3 year 30,000 warranty. I added up what it would cost to rebuid a motor and it was close to that. So if you got a used 350. You still would have to do some work to it and it will add up. Try and get the money and go with a crate.. All your stuff will go right on it.
If you have everything.. You and 4 friends can have it done in a day..
My dad and I have straight engine swaps down to about 4hrs. If you have a digital camera or polaroid, take pictures of everything, it will help you with reassembly.
Colored tape helps too with electrical connectors and vaccuum lines.
At the shop I use colored and lettered tape to put on both ends of a connector, so anyone can help me re-assemble. "Hey, where's this go?" "Red-8... find another connector with Red-8 on it!"
Gokartergo hit it on the head -- you and some friends can knock it out without any problem, IF YOU HAVE EVERYTHING. There's ways around everything, but I don't know how many times I've been summoned to help someone only to ask "Uh, where's your engine stand/torque wrench/cherry picker/flywheel turner/fetzer valve unsticker?" and get a blank stare and facial tic in return.
If you have a decent setup, you'll be fine. If you don't, whatever you can't beg, steal or borrow needs to be factored in to your cost. Little things add up fast.
i'm sure other az guys will chime in but let me be the first to say I'll help. I've done motor swaps before and I'm currently working on one if you want to check it out.
ask for juan
I've had similar scenario's..I usually find another complete truck that runs good but is rotted to death for less than 500 bucks..(though in Pheonix,that is unlikely,sine nothing rusts out there! )..a used motor in good shape can be had for 500 bucks I'd assume..
I buy a whole vehicle for one reason-I now have all those parts I'd normally have to scour a junkyard for,like throttle cables and brackets,(lost count of how many times I was able to put a motor in,in just a few hours,only to find I couldn't hook up the throttle cable and detent cables!)..or an exhaust manifold is different,P/S pump,radiator,etc..since your doing this on a weekend,its nice to have ALL the parts between the two trucks --that way its nearly gaurenteed you'll have everything you need to get it running and driveable by monday morning..
Then you can strip any other spare parts you need off the cannibalized truck,and either sell them to recoup some cash,or keep them for your truck..then junk the "shell" at a scrapyard for a few hundred bucks..
Only trouble with doing it this way,is sometimes the "parts" truck is in better shape than the one that needs the motor! --more than once I was unable to bring myself to cut up the "parts" truck,and ended up buying a THIRD truck,to fix the first one with a blown motor!..then I fixed up the "parts" truck and kept it,since it was actually in better shape than the one that blew the motor..and I sold that one instead!..
Separate names with a comma.