Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

k5 die 5 seconds after key is pulled

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by blazerpro79, May 19, 2005.

1. blazerpro79

blazerpro79 1/2 ton status

ok guys... it never ends... haha... anyways

i turn it off, it keep running for about 5 seconds, and shuts off. my volts guage drops when the key is out. but it keeps going... any ideas are appreciated.

79k5 - 350 - th350 - np203 - 10bf - 12br - 6" on 35s

2. CkYblaZeRBoY

CkYblaZeRBoY Registered Member

Is it studdering or running like it is at idle?

3. blazerpro79

runs just like idle. then at the last second just dies away

4. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Put a voltmeter on the coil's power source connection and see if it reads anything after the engine is turned off. I recently heard about a electric fan that was temporarily hard wired on the same circuit as the ignition. While the fan would coast to a stop, it would actually generate enough juice to keep the ignition going for a few seconds. :crazy:

5. blazerpro79

that sounds very logical... now it is wired to fuse box ignition though... if thats the case how would i go about fixing it?

6. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Wire it up right. I have my windstar fans hooked up with a relay and a temperature switch, keeps the temp quite stable. I just saw your other post, guess it all makes sense now. There may be a wiring diagram under the windstar conversion article in the "tech article/advanced previews" thread, if you need help designing it. Mines kinda custom and complicated.

7. gone huntin

gone huntin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Yup, had the same thing happen to me on my old '79, had to put on a relay.

8. blazerpro79

ok ill do it today, thanks guys

9. blazerpro79

what size relay should i use?

10. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

electric fan/generator!

Yes,its true!--I've seen the same thing on my friends 82 cutlass--he added an electric fan and he must have tapped into the big pink HEI 12v wire to get a "switched hot wire" from the key...his car would keep right on running for about 5-10 seconds after you shut the key off!-- :blush:.

-He added a diode to the power wire(I told him sometimes you need a diode on a GM altenator when you swap one onto something that never had one originally,like a farm tractor for instance,or the same thing happens,it wont shut off with the key!)--that cured the "run on" problem--but he should have wired it right as suggested already with a relay and a separate power source.(and fuse :blush: )...his car always had a weird skip no matter what motor he had in it(he had 5 different small block chevy's in it over the few years he owned it)--I wonder if the fan being "piggybacked" onto the HEI power wire reduced the amps and volts enough to make it run that way.. :thinking:

Also makes me wonder if your electric fan helps charge the battery when your going down the highway and the wind makes the fan motor run faster than it normally does,making it into a generator--I know the fan motor DOES act as one,the fact it keeps the car running those few seconds proves it!--I've chucked an old fan motor from a K-car I replaced in my drill press,and spun it at a good speed(2500 rpm or so)and it will light up a 1157 bulb pretty good, if you hook it to the power and ground wires!.. :laugh:

It does not put out very much amperage,maybe 1 amp..but I guess any fan or heater motors like those with permanent magnets also can be generators as well-(like the ones on our bikes as kids!)-I was tempted to use one on a riding mower I added on electric start to from a parts engine, to charge the battery--havent had enough time to play with it,but I bet it would work--and would not bog down the motor as much as a regular GM altenator.

.One flea market vendor I've seen has been selling "windmills" made from car electric fans that light up a bulb at night pretty good in a stiff wind!..he sells quite a few!.one was a fake "lighthouse"!.I thought it was a cool idea... :cool1:

--I'm also wanting to put a GM altenator on a 5HP engine so I can use it to boost dead batteries( got lots of dead ones from lack of use due to gas prices! :frown1: ) or as a remote 12V/110V power source,using an inverter--they are pretty cheap now for a 400W one--be nice to run a drill or saw away from the house...or for camping... :crazy:

11. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Just get a standard automotive relay, 30A, or 40A if you can find it. You can get a nice relay socket here, single or double, and a fuse holder while you're at it.
    For a temperature switch you can add a water neck that has a port in it, and find a temp switch to suit your temp needs. You should be able to look through the book at NAPA and find what you need.